Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Big 12 Heisman Watch: Week 12
By David Ubben
The Heisman race is hitting the home stretch. The field is thinning even further, and that's reflected in our Heisman Watch. Here are the Big 12's best hopes to bring home the trophy.
1. Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State: Klein was all alone as the front-runner, but he's got some company now in the form of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel. Klein surely lost a few votes by way of Manziel's huge performance in the upset of No. 1 Alabama on the road. Klein's pedestrian day (145 passing yards, INT and 50 rushing yards, 2 TD) against a good TCU defense didn't help his case. Manziel has more rushing yards and passing yards, but he also has more losses, more turnovers and a lower passer rating.
2. Seth Doege, QB, Texas Tech: Doege has got zero shot to win, but a strong finish might get him somewhat close to getting an invite to New York. He threw for 476 yards Saturday against Kansas, his second-highest total of the season, and his three touchdowns kept him out in front of Matt Barkley for the national lead in touchdown passes with 34.
Here's how I voted in this week's ESPN Heisman Watch:
- Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State
- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
- Braxton Miller, QB, Ohio State
- Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
- Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame