Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Big 12 game picks rewind: Week 11
By David Ubben
In this space each week, we'll rehash the previous week's game predictions. It could be ugly some weeks, others could be quite sweet on my end.
Either way, we'll examine the carnage every week. This week? A solid effort and a big whiff on an upset pick.
Here's how I did in Week 10:
Record: 4-1 (.800)
Overall: 46-17 (.730)
My pick: Texas Tech 41, Kansas 17
Actual score: Texas Tech 41, Kansas 34
My pick: Texas 27, Iowa State 20
- Hindsight: I really didn't believe Kansas' defense could hang with a versatile Texas Tech passing game that can do a lot of different things. Fast-paced offenses had given KU trouble all season long, but the Jayhawks' running game kept them in it. Texas Tech's defense is starting to struggle a bit as league play drags on.
Actual score: Texas 33, Iowa State 7
My pick: West Virginia 44, Oklahoma State 42
- Hindsight: This was probably Texas' most complete game of the season, and it was hard not to walk away impressed. The defense is starting to gel into the unit most thought it would be in the preseason, and David Ash has bounced back after a midseason hiccup.
Actual score: Oklahoma State 55, West Virginia 34
My pick: Oklahoma 42, Baylor 20
- Hindsight: You can't pick chalk every week. That's no fun. This was my riskiest pick of the week, picking a touchdown underdog on the road to snap a three-game losing streak. Nope. Just missed it. Oklahoma State's too good. Impressive performance from the Cowboys.
Actual score: Oklahoma 42, Baylor 34
My pick: Kansas State 38, TCU 24
- Hindsight: Good effort from the Bears to make it a tight game late, but Oklahoma was in control most of the way in this one. The Bears' defense tighted up in the second half, but as I predicted last week, Oklahoma's elite secondary handed Baylor's passing game a terrible time on the road. Nick Florence was just 12-of-33 for 172 yards.
Actual score: Kansas State 23, TCU 10
- Hindsight: Got the margin of victory correct, but I saw both offenses having a better day than either had on Saturday. Credit both defenses for that. Great effort on both sides, but this game was yet another no-doubter for the consistent Cats.