Tuesday, November 13, 2012
Lunch links: Hogs hunting Big 12 coaches?
By David Ubben
Hoops! For 24 hours! Send it in, Jerome!
- Mac Engel of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says TCU doesn't have to worry about Gary Patterson leaving for Arkansas, but there's one job that he'd leave the Frogs for. Mike Gundy declined comment about his name being mentioned for the Arkansas job. Patterson had little to say on Monday about the issue.
- Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein: You can find him on the cover of this week's Sports Illustrated.
- Did West Virginia join the Big 12 too soon? Mickey Furfari of the Register-Herald wonders if the tougher league is going to be worth all the big bucks.
- The Big 12 publicly reprimanded coach Tommy Tuberville for his actions in a sideline incident on Saturday. Colleague Ivan Maisel says 30 years of even-keel behavior earns Tuberville the benefit of the doubt.
- Iowa State and Kansas are both desperate, but for different reasons, writes Andrew Logue of the Des Moines Register.
- The Mountaineers have a whole lot of issues, and not very many fixes, writes Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail. WVU lost a second receiver in a week, too, which is a troubling trend.
- Oklahoma State is stuck in limbo again: Who's the starting quarterback this week? Jimmie Tramel of the Tulsa World tells you about CB/KR Justin Gilbert, who's driven by love for his mother.
- The balance of power in Texas is shifting, writes Cedric Golden of the Austin American-Statesman.
- Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman says Bob Stoops was wrong about about his defense and explains how.
- Last year's embarrassment is fresh in the minds of Texas Tech players as they prepare to face Oklahoma State again.
- Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman looks at one Sooner's special contribution on Saturday.
- Texas long snapper Nate Boyer received the Armed Forces Merit Award this week, but he says he's prepared to go to Afghanistan if necessary.
- Morgantown's mayor has a few friendly wagers with other mayors from around the Big 12.
- One of Baylor's top signees from last year is headed to campus in January.
- Iowa State LB A.J. Klein is looking to fix his dwindling production after switching positions when Jake Knott was injured, writes Bobby La Gesse of the Ames Tribune.
- Texas Tech linebacker Terrance Bullitt tried to play through a shoulder injury, but he's going to have season-ending surgery instead.