Friday, November 16, 2012
Big 12 did you know: Week 12
By David Ubben
We're back again with facts and tidbits from our ESPN Stats & Information team and various sports information departments around the Big 12.
We love you. You make your readers the smartest folk at their tailgates.
Let's get to it!
Did you know ...
- Since the end of the 2003 season, Big 12 teams have been No. 1 in the BCS on eight occasions, including K-State this week.
- Those teams are just 2-5 in their next game.
- One of those teams (Texas, Oct. 23, 2005) won its next game and still fell out of the No. 1 spot.
- Saturday will be one day short of the one-year anniversary of Iowa State's upset of No. 2 Oklahoma State, a loss that knocked the Cowboys out of the BCS title game.
- Kansas State leads the nation in average starting field position, at their own 41. K-State opponents average at their own 27. That plus-14 differential is 5 yards greater than any team in the country.
- Collin Klein accounts for 65.7 percent of his team's yardage. Last year, Robert Griffin III accounted for 65.6 for Baylor.
- Klein also accounts for 66 percent of his team's touchdowns. RG3 accounted for 61 percent.
- Baylor had 24 turnovers as a team, and 11 by RG3 last year. Kansas State has six turnovers, and three by Klein.
- Klein completed 44 percent of his throws longer than 20 yards last year for four touchdowns and two interceptions. This year, he's completing 60 percent with seven scores and no picks.
- Klein has completed 24 of those throws to three different receivers. All three have at least seven catches longer than 20 yards downfield.
- Baylor's Nick Florence has thrown 15 touchdown passes longer than 20 yards this season. That number leads the FBS.
- Florence, though, is completing just 44 percent of his throws longer than 20 yards, with 15 touchdowns and five interceptions.
- Last week's loss to Oklahoma was the first game this season in which Florence didn't complete a touchdown pass longer than 20 yards downfield.
- With a victory on Saturday, Oklahoma will have at least eight wins for the 13th consecutive season.
- Tavon Austin's 684 yards after the catch lead the Big 12.
- Oklahoma and West Virginia have never met in Morgantown.
- Texas Tech's collective 1,770 yards after the catch lead AQ teams this season.
- Geno Smith completed 72.4 percent of his passes longer than 15 yards in his first four games. He had nine touchdowns and no interceptions over that span.
- Since, he's completed 16.3 percent with two touchdowns and three interceptions.
- Smith averaged 432 passing yards a game in September. Since then, he's averaging just 262.6.
- Oklahoma's Blake Bell has 20 touchdowns on 29 rushes in goal-to-go situations since the beginning of last season. That's the highest touchdown percentage (69 percent) of any player with at least 10 attempts.
- Oklahoma State has 51 completions of 20 yards or longer this year, the second-most in FBS.
- Texas Tech has given up just 19 such completions, the fewest in the Big 12 and fifth-fewest in FBS.
- Oklahoma State's three-game winning streak versus Tech is its longest in the series since winning four consecutive games from 1942-45.
- Texas Tech (minus-5) and Oklahoma State (minua-8) are a combined minus-13 in turnover margin, the two worst marks in the Big 12.
- Oklahoma State was plus-21 in that stat last season.
- Oklahoma State has won 10 of 11 games against teams from Texas, with the one loss coming this season to Texas on a controversial touchdown in the final minute.
- Kansas leads its all-time series against Iowa State, 49-36-6.
- Kansas offensive lineman Tanner Hawkinson will set a school record if he makes his 47th start on Saturday.
- Paul Rhoads is already the first coach in Iowa State history to reach bowl games in two of his first three seasons.
- Until the Oklahoma game this season, Rhoads had never coached a game without linebacker Jake Knott on the field.
- Iowa State safety Durrell Givens has five fumble recoveries and three interceptions. That ties him for the national lead in takeaways.