Friday, November 23, 2012
Big 12 did you know: Week 13
By David Ubben
Time for a whole new round of fun facts from around the Big 12 this week. As always, these come courtesy of our crack team at ESPN Stats & Information, as well as various sports information departments from around the Big 12. Let's get to it!
Did you know ...
- Landry Jones has thrown 12.7 percent of his career passes from outside the pocket.
- Jones has thrown 26.5 percent of his career interceptions from outside the pocket.
- Against Oklahoma State last season, Jones was 3-of-16 with two interceptions on passes outside the pocket.
- For his career, Jones is completing 65.4 percent of his passes inside the pocket, compared to 50.2 percent outside of it.
- Oklahoma State has 15 touchdown drives this season that lasted less than a minute, fourth-most in the FBS.
- The Cowboys have 15 touchdown drives of three plays or fewer, tied for third in FBS.
- In Jones' first five games, he completed just 6-of-27 throws longer than 20 yards, for one touchdown and an interception. In his past five, he's completed of 15-of-30 passes for six scores and two picks.
- Since Week 10, Clint Chelf has completed 52.6 percent of his passes longer than 20 yards, for five touchdowns and no interceptions.
- J.W. Walsh has scored four touchdowns in eight goal-to-go rush attempts.
- Blake Bell has nine touchdowns in 14 goal-to-go rush attempts.
- Oklahoma State running back Joseph Randle has 596 yards after contact this year, fifth-most in the FBS and most in the Big 12.
- Oklahoma gave up just 138.2 yards per game and five touchdowns on the ground in its first six games.
- In its last four games, the Sooners have given up 256 rushing yards a game and 12 touchdowns.
- Oklahoma State's been held below 30 points just once this season.
- Randle is gaining 54.2 percent of his yards after contact.
- Oklahoma's defense has given up just 630 yards after contact this year, the fewest in the Big 12 and eighth-fewest among AQ schools.
- The Big 12 has 70 percent of its teams already bowl-eligible, the highest percentage of any league in the country.
- Two more Big 12 teams could be bowl-eligible by the end of the weekend.
- The Big 12 has five teams in the top 10 nationally in scoring.
- Big 12 teams average 74.1 plays, 463.1 yards and four punts per game. All are the highest among FBS leagues.
- Twenty percent of the Big 12's touchdown drives this year have been scored in less than a minute.
- Baylor's victory over No. 1 Kansas State last week was its first ever over a No. 1 team.
- It also tied the record for the biggest margin of victory over a BCS No. 1 team.
- Iowa State is 9-1 under Paul Rhoads when scoring at least 35 points, and 21-1 when allowing fewer than 24 points.
- West Virginia's five-game losing streak is its longest since a six-game streak in 1986.
- Iowa State is 1-3 at home in Big 12 play this year.
- West Virginia and Iowa State have never met.
- Iowa State hasn't won its regular season finale since 2006.
- Oklahoma has won 32 consecutive games when leading at halftime.
- Oklahoma State's 38-point win over Texas Tech last week was its third-largest ever against a ranked opponent.
- West Virginia had 778 yards of offense last week, but it was only the second-most in school history. The Mountaineers had 807 yards of offense in a win over Baylor earlier this season.
- Seth Doege is just the third quarterback in Texas Tech history with 8,000 yards passing. He has 8,006 after last week's loss to Oklahoma State.