Thursday, November 29, 2012
Lunch links: Big 12 expansion thoughts
By David Ubben
If I started a university and a football team tomorrow, how long do you think it would take me to get them an invitation to the WAC? 2015? 2014?
- Commissioner Bob Bowlsby talks with Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com about why the Big 12 is happy at 10. "...no one has proven to me that larger is better," he said.
- What does Louisville's move to the ACC mean for the Big 12? Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman offers a eulogy for the Big 12's year-long flirtation with the Cardinals.
- Allan Taylor of WV Metro News has a column on what the shifting landscape in college sports means for the Big 12.
- One of Texas' biggest donors says he expects Mack Brown to come back next season, reports Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman.
- But did that TCU loss make too many other folks want to move Mack into an administrative role? Randy Galloway of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes about the issue. He's not so sure Mack has another year left, but scoffs at the idea of Gary Patterson being the next coach in Austin.
- Want to be a head coach some day? Offensive coaches in Oklahoma seem to be rolling out the door by the dozen, writes Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman.
- Could Todd Monken be the next one? He's put together a high-powered offense despite a lot of high-impact injuries, writes John Helsley of The Oklahoman.
- Karl Joseph is just a freshman, but he's emerged as a star for the troubled WVU defense. How's he done it? Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail writes about the question.
- Baylor's recent rise can be tacked on the backs of its offensive line, writes Will Parchman of the Waco Tribune-Herald.
- OSU running back Joseph Randle is proving himself as a leader and taking things more seriously lately, according to Pokes coaches.
- Saying goodbye to Nick Florence this weekend is going to be emotional for Art Briles, writes Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News.
- Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein says he's chasing after a Big 12 title, not the Heisman, writes Tony Adame of the Wichita Eagle. Can Texas' defense figure out how to contain him? Mark Rosner of the Austin American-Statesman looks at the task ahead.
- Despite tweets from him suggesting the opposite, Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro isn't cleared to play yet, writes Nick Kosmider of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.
- Chuck McGill of the Charleston Daily Mail looks at West Virginia's passing game trio's record-breaking run in Morgantown.