Friday, November 30, 2012
Big 12 did you know: Week 14
By David Ubben
Time for one more week of fun facts, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info and various sports information departments around the Big 12.
We love you. You make your readers the smartest folks at their tailgate. Let's get to it!
Did you know ...
- Since Mack Brown and Bob Stoops have been at Texas and OU, only three teams have ever beaten both teams in the same season. All three, however, have been in the past two years (Oklahoma State and Baylor, 2011; Texas A&M 2010). With wins on Saturday, TCU and K-State could both add to that list.
- If Texas loses to K-State, it will be 11-15 in Big 12 play in the past three seasons. It will be the first time Texas has lost at least four games in league play in three consecutive seasons since 1935-38.
- Kansas State had given up zero points off turnovers in the first nine games and three quarters of its season. In the last five quarters, it's given up 21 points off turnovers, falling from first to third nationally in the stat.
- The Wildcats commit an average of 3.6 penalties a game, but had five in the first half against Baylor two weeks ago, not counting two that were declined.
- Kansas State averaged 213 rushing yards in its first nine games. It had 76 against Baylor.
- Bill Snyder is 4-2 vs. Mack Brown, and K-State is +14 in turnover margin in those six games.
- Three of those four wins came by double digits.
- Texas is giving up an average of 99.5 rushing yards per game ... after contact. That's the most in the Big 12.
- The Longhorns have missed 107 tackles this year, the most in the Big 12.
- Kansas State has missed 71 tackles this year, the fewest in the Big 12.
- Collin Klein attempted 17 passes longer than 15 yards in the loss to Baylor. He'd never attempted more than 10 in a game.
- He completed three of those 17 attempts to K-State teammates and three of those attempts to Baylor defenders.
- Of the 14 incompletions, 10 were overthrown.
- Klein had completed more than 60 percent of those throws on the season for eight scores and two picks. He completed 17.6 percent of those attempts against Baylor for three interceptions and no touchdowns, and was 0-of-6 on third-down pass attempts longer than 15 yards.
- Case McCoy is completing 70 percent of his throws longer than 10 yards this season with three touchdowns and an interception.
- David Ash is completing 49 percent of those same throws, for eight touchdowns and six interceptions.
- On those throws against TCU, Ash was 2-of-8 for two interceptions.
- McCoy is 3-1 on the road as starter in his career.
- When facing five or more pass-rushers, Landry Jones is completing 67.4 percent of his passes this season. That's up eight percentage points from 2011.
- K-State has beaten Texas in their last four meetings, and is 7-5 all-time vs. Texas. The Longhorns have played 23 different teams at least 10 times, and only three of those teams have winning records against Texas in those meetings: Notre Dame, Vanderbilt and K-State.
- Oklahoma has gone three-and-out just 16 times this season, second-fewest in FBS.
- TCU leads the nation with nine of its interceptions coming on throws longer than 20 yards downfield.
- Jones has thrown three interceptions on 60 attempts at this distance.
- TCU converted 44.7 percent of its third downs in its first seven weeks. Since then, it has converted just 25 percent of its third downs, 118th in FBS.
- Baylor receiver Terrance Williams has 22 catches longer than 25 yards and 14 catches longer than 40 yards this season. Both marks lead FBS.
- Baylor receiver Tevin Reese has six touchdown catches longer than 40 yards. Only USC's Marqise Lee has more, with seven.
- Since becoming a starter, Oklahoma State's Clint Chelf is completing 76.9 percent of his passes off play-action for three scores and no interceptions.
- Last week against Oklahoma, he was 11-of-14, including a 75-yard touchdown pass to Josh Stewart.
- That 75-yard touchdown was OSU's longest play from scrimmage this season.
- Baylor quarterback Nick Florence has 21 touchdown passes thrown longer than 15 yards downfield, the most in FBS.
- Baylor's 13 three-and-outs this season are the fewest in FBS.
- The Big 12 has 50 percent of its teams in the top 12 nationally in total offense.
- Baylor has had 400 yards of offense in every game this season, and over 600 yards in five games.
- Kansas has a rush of 55 yards or more in four consecutive games.
- Landry Jones owns all three 500-yard passing games in Oklahoma history.
- Since 2005, TCU is 48-1 when winning the turnover battle. That's the best mark in the nation.
- TCU is 4-1 on the road in Big 12 play, but 0-3 at home.
- Texas is now 51-23-2 when playing on Thanksgiving.
- Texas Tech receiver Darrin Moore's 146-yard first half against Baylor last week was the most in a half since Michael Crabtree had 152 at Oklahoma State in 2007.
- Jakeem Grant's kickoff return for a touchdown was Texas Tech's first since Vincent Meeks returned one against Oklahoma all the way back in 2002.