Tuesday, December 4, 2012
The final Big 12 Heisman Watch of 2012
By David Ubben
The Heisman finalists have been announced, and the greatest individual award in sports will be handed out at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, live on ESPN.
Let's take one last look at the Big 12's best hope to bring home the award:
1. Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State: It might be an uphill battle for Klein to unseat fellow finalists Johnny Manziel and Manti Te'o, but simply getting the invitation to New York is a big accomplishment. He has carried the Wildcats to the Big 12 title, and no player in the league has been more important to his team's success. You could definitely make the case that no player in the nation has been more important to his team's success, too. Klein has accounted for 37 touchdowns, 890 rushing yards and 2,490 passing yards. His efforts this season helped K-State surpass modest expectations, and he matured as a passer more than most gave him credit for. Win or lose Saturday night, my hat is off to Klein.
Here's how I voted in the ESPN Heisman Watch this week:
- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
- Collin Klein, QB, Kansas State
- Braxton Miller, QB, Ohio State
- Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
- Tavon Austin, WR/RB/KR/PR, West Virginia