Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Cincinnati refutes story on Tuberville exit
By Andrea Adelson
Earlier today, a recruit's comments about the way Tommy Tuberville left a Texas Tech recruiting dinner last week made headlines at several major news outlets.
Cincinnati issued a statement Wednesday afternoon refuting the report.
Let's go back to the beginning.
Junior college offensive line recruit Devonte Danzey told 247Sports that he and several other recruits went to dinner Friday night in Lubbock with "eight to 10" other coaches, including Tuberville. He went on to say that Tuberville got up to use the restroom and never returned to the table, insinuating Tuberville walked out of the dinner to take the Cincinnati job.
In its statement, Cincinnati said, "Those reports are inaccurate. There was no contact between Coach Tuberville and Cincinnati prior to Saturday morning. Coach said he was at the dinner, talked with everyone, ate and went home."
As David Ubben pointed out earlier, we are left to take the word of one recruit. Given the fact this was a big recruiting dinner, and they were in a big restaurant, it is entirely feasible that Danzey was in the middle of a conversation and just never heard Tuberville say his good byes.
Cincinnati athletic director Whit Babcock did say during Tuberville's introductory news conference that the first time he reached out to Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt was early Saturday morning. He left two messages for Hocutt before reaching Tuberville, who agreed to take the job. Tuberville was officially introduced as Cincinnati head coach Saturday evening.