Monday, December 31, 2012
Did you know: Heart of Dallas Bowl edition
By David Ubben
Want a few tidbits in advance of the Big 12's lone New Year's Day bowl game?
I've got you covered, thanks to ESPN Stats and Info and various sports information departments across the Big 12. Let's get to the facts:
- The only other time Oklahoma State and Purdue met came back in the 1997 Alamo Bowl. Purdue won, 33-20.
- Both teams enter this game having won their last two bowl games.
- Oklahoma State's offense leads the nation in yards per play, at 7.01.
- The Cowboys also rank in the top 10 in points per game, yards per game and points per drive.
- With a win, Purdue would have just its second winning season in five years.
- J.W. Walsh won't start, but his passer rating (165.7) is the nation's best among freshman quarterbacks with at least 100 attempts this season.
- That quarterback rating also leads the Big 12.
- Oklahoma State's given up at least 600 yards of offense in its final two games of the season, both losses.
- Joseph Randle has 38 carries this season for 10 yards or more. No Big 12 back has more than 31.
- Oklahoma State is just 3-8-1 against the traditional Big Ten, not including Nebraska.
- The Cowboys have faced just six members of the Big Ten and none since seeing Indiana in the Insight Bowl in 2007.
- Oklahoma State has 66 players from the state of Texas and 27 from the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.
- The Cowboys five conference wins have come by an average of more than 21 points, and its losses have come by an average of just over seven points, including an overtime loss.
- Oklahoma State has not finished worse than third in the Big 12 standings since 2008.
- Oklahoma State had 20 players make their first career start in 2012, more than all but five schools in FBS.
- Receiver Josh Stewart has caught a pass longer than 25 yards in eight games this season.