Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Did you know: Cotton and Fiesta Bowls
By David Ubben
Time for another round of fun facts and tidbits about the Big 12's premier bowl games: The Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and AT&T Cotton Bowl.
As always, these come courtesy of our crack team at ESPN Stats & Information and sports information departments across the Big 12. Let's get started:
Did you know ...
- Oregon leads the nation in touchdown drives that lasted less than a minute with 22.
- The Ducks have 44 touchdown drives of two minutes or less, also the most in FBS.
- Kansas State has scored on 40 percent of its drives this season, and average 3.5 points per drive.
- K-State averages more than 10 fewer points per game than Oregon, but the two are tied for second nationally in points per drive.
- Kansas State's 10 turnovers this season are the third fewest in FBS.
- The Wildcats are in the top four nationally in average drive start position, penalties per game, turnover margin and opponent points off turnovers.
- Collin Klein is completing 53.8 percent of his passes longer than 20 yards this season, compared to 43.9 percent last season.
- Klein has at least one touchdown in goal-to-go situations in 22 of 23 games against FBS opponents the past two seasons.
- Klein averages 8.7 yards a carry on scrambles and 41.4 percent of those carries end in first downs.
- Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel has 784 of his 1,181 rushing yards on scrambles, averaging 9.7 yards a carry on those plays.
- Manziel has been forced out of the pocket on 27.6 percent of drop backs this season.
- Over the last three games, Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones is completing 77.7 percent of his passes for four touchdowns and no interceptions when he's blitzed.
- On the season, he has eight touchdowns and one pick when blitzed.
- Jones has thrown just 12.2 percent of his career passes from outside the pocket, but thrown 25.5 percent of his career interceptions from outside the pocket.
- In Oklahoma's first 10 games, Jones attempted 41 passes from outside the pocket. In the last two games, he's attempted just three such passes.
- Oregon coach Chip Kelly is the only coach to ever reach a BCS game in each of his first four seasons as a head coach.
- With a win, Oregon would have its third consecutive 12-win season. The last coach to do that in an AQ league was Oklahoma's Bob Stoops from 2002-04.
- Oregon averaged 31.3 points in the first half this season, which is more than 73 FBS teams average in a game this year.
- Kansas State averages 23.4 points in the second half this season, second most in FBS, behind only Louisiana Tech.
- Klein is 21-4 as a starting quarterback.
- K-State's 10 wins by fewer than seven points in the last two seasons are tied for the most in FBS.
- Oregon is tied for the most forced turnovers this season with 38.
- K-State has scored touchdowns on 36 of 71 second-half possessions this season. The top four in the FBS in that stat are all from the Big 12 (K-State, Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma State).
- Klein's 49 rushing touchdowns since the beginning of 2011 are more than every FBS player but Wisconsin's Montee Ball, who has 54.
- Klein's scored a touchdown in 21 consecutive games against FBS opponents, the longest streak in FBS since 2004 by five games.
- Texas A&M is 4-8 in its 12 Cotton Bowl appearances.
- Oklahoma is 1-0 in its only appearance in the bowl, back in 2002.
- If Oklahoma wins, it will have its first four-game bowl winning streak since 1978-81.
- West Virginia's Pat White is the only player to ever go 4-0 in bowl games. Landry Jones could join him with a win.
- A&M hasn't won consecutive bowl games since 1985.
- A win would give Stoops 150 wins at Oklahoma, seven short of Barry Switzer's school record.
- A win would give Texas A&M its first 11-win season since 1998.