Friday, February 8, 2013
Ranking the Big 12's top 25 players: No. 12
By David Ubben
We’re continuing our countdown of the Big 12's top 25 players from the 2012 season. Here's more on my criteria for the list. You can take a peek at how the preseason list looked here.
The official list is locked away in a vault in an undisclosed location, but we'll be revealing one player a day moving forward.
On with the show ...
No. 12: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
2012 numbers: Intercepted six passes. Broke up 16 passes. Made 63 tackles and five tackles for loss.
Most recent ranking: Verrett was unranked in our preseason list of the Big 12's top 25 players.
Making the case for Verrett: Verrett's 2011 season began with a nightmare against Robert Griffin III and Baylor. But once he helped TCU join the Big 12, Verrett broke out in a big way, breaking up seven more passes than any player in the conference. His six interceptions led the Big 12 this year and would have done so last year, too. He was the league's best shutdown corner and made tons of plays on balls headed his way. The 5-foot-10, 180-pounder locked up some of the best receivers, which is even more impressive considering the quality of the position in this league. Coach Gary Patterson is known for his ability to field defenses, and despite personnel losses all over the field, Verrett was a constant for a Frogs defense that badly needed him all season long. Without Verrett, TCU's debut Big 12 season may have looked markedly different.
The rest of the list:
- No. 13: Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
- No. 14: Trey Millard, FB/RB/TE, Oklahoma
- No. 15: Cyril Richardson, OL, Baylor
- No. 16: Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State
- No. 17: Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma
- No. 18: Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma
- No. 19: Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
- No. 20: Jake Knott, LB, Iowa State
- No. 21: James Sims, RB, Kansas
- No. 22: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
- No. 23: Josh Stewart, WR, Oklahoma State
- No. 24: Nick Florence, QB, Baylor
- No. 25: Quinn Sharp, K/P/KOS, Oklahoma State