Friday, November 20, 2009
Suh, McCoy top Kiper's latest Big Board
By ESPN.com staff
The Big 12 is expected to have another banner year in next year's NFL draft.
And the early prognosis is that this could be the conference's best season in history in developing top products.
Mel Kiper Jr.'s most recent Big Board reinforces that notion with nine Big 12 players among his top 22 prospects, headed by Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh at No. 1 and Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy at No. 2.
No other conference has more than six players on Kiper's list, which is found on ESPN.com's Insider.
The Big 12 set a record last season with seven first-round draft picks. And this season looks like it could be even better for the Big 12.
Here are Big 12 players listed in Kiper's most recent top 25.
- Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, 1.
- Oklahoma defensive tackle Gerald McCoy, 2
- Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford, 5
- Oklahoma State tackle Russell Okung, 6
- Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant, 11
- Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, 18
- Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle, 20
- Oklahoma tight end Jermaine Gresham, 21
- Texas quarterback Colt McCoy, 22
The drop in the level of play in the conference can obviously be explained by the fact that Bradford, Gresham and Bryant have been out for all or most of the season with injuries or suspensions.
But it should be a busy night for Big 12 products when first-round selections are made next April. And I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of other Big 12 players sneaked their way into the first round as well.