Monday, August 19, 2013
The top 25 players in the Big 12: No. 6
By David Ubben
We're counting down to the beginning of the season with the top 25 players in the Big 12. The official list is locked away in a vault in an undisclosed location, but we'll be revealing players from the bottom of the list all the way to No. 1.
Here's more on my criteria.
Let's move on with the list:
No. 6: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
2012 numbers: Made 61 tackles and intercepted four passes. Had two sacks and 2.5 tackles for loss. Also broke up 11 passes.
Most recent ranking: Colvin was No. 22 in our postseason list of the Big 12's top 25 players.
Making the case for Colvin: Colvin has showed tons of promise since his freshman year in 2010, but the versatile defensive back truly broke out last season. He spent 2011 as a first-year starter at safety and was an above average player at the position. After moving back to his natural position of cornerback in 2012, he proved himself as one of the league's elite players at the position.
The 6-foot, 192-pound native of Tulsa, Okla., earned both of his sacks in a win over Oklahoma State to keep the Sooners in position to win a share of the Big 12 title. His 15 passes defended are more than every player in the Big 12 last season besides TCU's Jason Verrett. The league gave him a well-deserved first-team All-Big 12 honor for the first time and he's in great position to do so again this season. He's physical (sometimes a bit too much so downfield) and a solid hitter who makes it easy to see why OU's defensive staff knew he could do well at safety in 2011. Seeing his cover skills full-time in 2012 showed, however, that he's a corner and 2013 will be far from the last time he holds down that position on a football field. Great future ahead for him.
The rest of the list:
- No. 7: John Hubert, RB, Kansas State
- No. 8: James Sims, RB, Kansas
- No. 9: Ty Zimmerman, S, Kansas State
- No. 10: Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas
- No. 11: Trey Millard, FB/RB/TE, Oklahoma
- No. 12: Kerry Hyder, DL, Texas Tech
- No. 13: Josh Stewart, WR, Oklahoma State
- No. 14: BJ Finney, C, Kansas State
- No. 15: Eric Ward, WR, Texas Tech
- No. 16: Cornelius Lucas, LT, Kansas State
- No. 17: Tevin Reese, WR, Baylor
- No. 18: Calvin Barnett, DT, Oklahoma State
- No. 19: Jalen Saunders, WR/PR, Oklahoma
- No. 20: Quandre Diggs, CB/PR, Texas
- No. 21: Tyler Lockett, WR/KR, Kansas State
- No. 22: Justin Gilbert, CB/KR, Oklahoma State
- No. 23: Le'Raven Clark, OG, Texas Tech
- No. 24: Shaun Lewis, LB, Oklahoma State
- No. 25: Damien Williams, RB, Oklahoma