Wednesday, September 4, 2013
Big 12 lunchtime links
By Jake Trotter
The Franco roast was the best one yet:
- Texas coach Mack Brown explains why he didn't offer Florida State QB Jameis Winston, who said he wanted to sign with the Longhorns out of high school.
- Oklahoma linebacker Corey Nelson wasn't on the field for last season's West Virginia game. In the Sooners' new scheme, he'll be on the field plenty Saturday, writes the Tulsa World's Guerin Emig.
- The Charleston Gazette's Dave Hickman asks if West Virginia's offense can do to the Sooners what it did last season?
- Devonte Fields is at the top of the TCU depth chart, but Gary Patterson won’t say whether his star defensive end will play, reports the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Stefan Stevenson.
- Iowa State opens with, uh-oh, North Dakota State in 2014, the Des Moines Register's Randy Peterson reminds us.
- Speaking of North Dakota State, Kansas State has bounced back strong in practice, the Topeka Capital-Journal's Ken Corbitt writes.
- Baylor's game with Buffalo won't be nearly as easy as Wofford, according to the Waco Tribune-Herald's John Werner.
- Veteran defensive coordinator Dave Campo is trying to get the Kansas defense up to speed, writes the Kansas City Star's Rustin Dodd.
- Red zone defense was key in Texas Tech's 41-23 win over SMU, reflects the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal's Don Williams.
- Oklahoma State offensive line coach Joe Wickline has rolled along with having to replace left tackle Devin Davis, who tore his ACL during the preseason.