Friday, November 29, 2013
Big 12 Week 14: Did you know?
By Max Olson
Here’s another edition of interesting stats and tidbits thanks to SID departments around the Big 12 and the folks at ESPN Stats & Info. Did you know …
- Texas Tech’s offense ran 80 plays against Texas and still leads the nation in plays per game at 88.4.
- Texas Tech has gained 10-plus yards on 247 plays this season and surpassed Florida State for No. 1 in FBS in that stat thanks to 16 such plays against Texas.
- Red Raiders quarterback Baker Mayfield ranks No. 6 in FBS in both completions per game and pass attempts per game.
- Texas recorded a season-high nine sacks against Texas Tech on Thursday, the most Tech has allowed in a game in at least 13 years.
- Texas kicker Anthony Fera is 19-for-20 (95 percent) on field goals. He has connected on his last 15 attempts, tying a school record.
- Longhorns WR Jaxon Shipley is now 5-for-8 passing for 116 yards and three touchdowns in his career. He completed a 43-yard pass on Thursday.
- Oklahoma QB Trevor Knight has rushed for 391 yards this season. Landry Jones finished with -361 rushing yards in his career.
- No Big 12 defense has been on the field this season less than the Sooners. Their opponents average 64.6 plays per game.
- Oklahoma State is No. 2 in the nation in turnover margin at plus 16 this season. Since the start of the 2010 season, the Cowboys are plus 49, which ranks No. 2 in FBS behind only Oregon (plus 52).
- Clint Chelf ranks No. 7 in the country in adjusted QBR at 84.8, ahead of Braxton Miller and AJ McCarron.
- Oklahoma State and Baylor both lead the conference in defensive touchdowns (four) and special teams touchdowns (three).
- Baylor has gained 20 or more yards on 93 plays this season, 25 more than any other Big 12 offense.
- Bryce Petty has scored touchdowns on 18 percent of his rushes this season. That’s the best scoring rate among rushers in FBS.
- Baylor needs just 22 points to break its school record for scoring in a season, and four touchdowns to break the BU single-season TD record.
- TCU holds a slim lead in its all-time series against Baylor, 51-50-7, but Gary Patterson is 4-1 against the Bears in his career. The Frogs have won eight straight games following bye weeks.
- The Horned Frogs have scored 263 points this season and given up 262 points.
- TCU has sold out 16 of its last 20 home games at Amon G. Carter Stadium.
- Casey Pachall is one touchdown pass away from surpassing Sammy Baugh in the TCU record book for career TD passes. He has 40.
- Pachall is already No. 3 in school history with 5,148 passing yards and first in completion percentage at 64.2.
- With a temperature of 8 degrees at kickoff, Iowa State’s home game against Kansas last week is considered the coldest game in school history.
- Five of Iowa State’s nine losses this season have come by eight points or less.
- Iowa State has scored on 29 of 31 opportunities in the red zone this season, a rate that leads the Big 12.
- Not one offensive lineman has started all 11 games this season for ISU, and 10 different linemen have earned at least one start.
- Charles Sims is 54 rushing yards away from surpassing 1,000 this season. He’d be West Virginia’s first 1,000-yard rusher since Noel Devine in 2009.
- In the month of November, WVU receiver Mario Alford leads in the Big 12 in yards per catch at 23.5 on 10 receptions.
- West Virginia’s offense has recorded 16 fourth-down plays this season for a total of -3 yards.
- Kansas State QB Jake Waters ranks No. 3 in FBS in yards per completion at 15.92 yards and No. 6 in yards per attempt at 9.61.
- K-State is the least penalized team in the Big 12 at 4.73 penalties per game for an average of 40.1 yards.
- Tyler Lockett’s 440 all-purpose yards against Oklahoma ranked fifth-most in FBS history and second-most in Big 12 history.
- The Wildcats are only the fourth team in Big 12 history to start 2-4 and go on to achieve bowl eligibility.
- James Sims is the first player in Kansas history to rush for 1,000 yards in back-to-back seasons. He’s only the third back in school history to record multiple 1,000-yard seasons.
- Sims is one of only 13 running backs in FBS to surpass 1,000 yards in both 2012 and 2013.
- Kansas has gone three-and-out on 32 percent of its offensive possessions this season, a rate that ranks fourth-worst in FBS. On nearly 47 percent of its drives, KU has neither picked up a first down nor scored.
- KU is 5-for-25 on fourth-down conversions this season. Only Louisville (0-for-4) has a worse conversion rate.