Tuesday, January 21, 2014
Iowa St. heads Big 12 Super Bowl contigent
By Jake Trotter
Super Bowl XLVIII will have a certain Iowa State flair.
That’s because both heads coaches in the game, Seattle's Pete Carroll and Denver's John Fox, are both former Iowa State assistants.
Carroll was an assistant defensive backs coach with the Cyclones in 1978. Fox was also a defensive backs coach for Iowa State in 1984.
Fox’s one season in Ames, Iowa, however, didn’t go quite as well as Carroll’s. The Cyclones finished 2-7-2 with Fox as secondary coach.
But with Carroll, Iowa State went 8-4 and made the Hall of Fame Classic bowl. It would be 22 years before the Cyclones would make another bowl game.
Other Big 12 ties to Super Bowl XLVIII:
- Defensive line coach Jay Rodgers was Iowa State’s wide receivers coach in 2007-08.
- Special teams coordinator Jeff Rodgers was Kansas State’s special teams coordinator in 2008.
- Strength and conditioning coach Luke Richesson was a strength and conditioning intern at Kansas in 1997.
- Assistant strength and conditioning coach Jason George was a graduate assistant at Kansas in 1997-98.
- Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell was a graduate assistant at Iowa State in 1997.
- Assistant offensive line coach Pat Ruel was at Kansas from 1988-96, serving as offensive coordinator, offensive line coach and assistant head coach.
- Defensive line coach Travis Jones was an assistant at Kansas in 2001-02.