Monday, January 27, 2014
Top 25 players in the Big 12: No. 15
By Max Olson
With signing day quickly approaching, it’s time to close the chapter on the 2013 season. We’re counting down the Top 25 players in the Big 12 in 2013 over the next few days with a list collaboratively selected by Jake Trotter, Brandon Chatmon and Max Olson. We continue the postseason countdown with the No. 15 player in the Big 12.
No. 15: Anthony Fera, K/P, Texas
Previous ranking: Fera was not ranked in the blog’s preseason list of the Big 12’s top players.
Making the case for Fera: Texas has had more than its fair share of elite kickers -- ever heard of Justin Tucker or Phil Dawson? -- and yet its latest will go down as the most decorated in school history.
Fera became the Longhorns’ first-ever Lou Groza Award finalist and earned consensus All-America honors as a senior. The recognition was well-deserved. Fera made 20 of his 22 field goal attempts in 2013, with the only misses coming on kicks tipped at the line. He enjoyed a streak of 15 consecutive makes during the season, was 14-of-14 from inside 40 and 14-of-15 on kicks with the game within seven points.
In addition, the former Penn State transfer was one of the league’s most effective punters, pinning more than 42 percent of his kicks inside the 20 with only three touchbacks. And he took care of point-after duties. Fera was indisputably one of Texas most valuable contributors, both for its offense and defense, and that’s why he’s 15th in our rankings.
The rest of the list:
- No. 16: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
- No. 17: Caleb Lavey, LB, Oklahoma State
- No. 18: Eddie Lackey, LB, Baylor
- No. 19: Josh Stewart, WR, Oklahoma State
- No. 20: Ryan Mueller, DE, Kansas State
- No. 21: Clint Chelf, QB, Oklahoma State
- No. 22: Jeremiah George, LB, Iowa State
- No. 23: Eric Striker, LB, Oklahoma
- No. 24: Ty Zimmerman, S, Kansas State
- No. 25: Calvin Barnett, DT, Oklahoma State