Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Top 25 players in the Big 12: No. 11
By Max Olson
With signing day quickly approaching, it’s time to close the chapter on the 2013 season. We’ll continue counting down the Top 25 players in the Big 12 in 2013 over the next few days with a list collaboratively selected by Jake Trotter, Brandon Chatmon and Max Olson. We continue the postseason countdown with the No. 11 player in the Big 12.
No. 11: Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor
Previous ranking: Goodley was not ranked in the blog’s preseason list of the Big 12’s Top 25 players.
Making the case for Goodley: Baylor players used to joke that Goodley was their best-kept secret of the offseason and that they knew what he was really capable of, but good luck convincing anyone you saw this coming from the junior wide receiver with 19 career receptions entering 2013.
Goodley went above and beyond in his breakthrough season, emerging as the Bears’ next star receiver and the league’s most prolific wideout. He caught 71 passes for 1,339 yards and a Big 12-best 13 touchdowns. He led the league in receiving for most of the season and was Bryce Petty's wildly successful go-to target.
Not only were his final stats strong, but you can’t say he disappeared in big games. He went for 80 yards and two TDs vs. Oklahoma, 101 yards and a TD on four catches vs. Texas Tech, caught 10 for 118 and a score at Oklahoma State, and had eight receptions for 114 yards and another score to beat Texas. And he scored in each of Baylor’s first six games.
To call Goodley a system receiver or dismiss his feats as being a byproduct of the Baylor offense isn’t fair. He has the build of a running back -- 5-foot-10, 225 pounds -- and the breakaway speed to burn any defense that misses the first tackle. The question now is, what can he do for an encore in 2014?
The rest of the list:
- No. 12: Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
- No. 13: Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia
- No. 14: James Sims, RB, Kansas
- No. 15: Anthony Fera, K, Texas
- No. 16: Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
- No. 17: Caleb Lavey, LB, Oklahoma State
- No. 18: Eddie Lackey, LB, Baylor
- No. 19: Josh Stewart, WR, Oklahoma State
- No. 20: Ryan Mueller, DE, Kansas State
- No. 21: Clint Chelf, QB, Oklahoma State
- No. 22: Jeremiah George, LB, Iowa State
- No. 23: Eric Striker, LB, Oklahoma
- No. 24: Ty Zimmerman, S, Kansas State
- No. 25: Calvin Barnett, DT, Oklahoma State