Big 12: Chris Knighton
January, 30, 2009
By Tim Griffin | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
National Signing Day is five days away with the most important recruiting weekend of the season approaching at many schools. Here are a few of the late stories that people across the Big 12 are talking about.
- Top wide receiving prospect Rueben Randle is headed to Auburn this weekend, even though he doesn't count the Tigers among his finalists, the Columbus (Ga.) Ledger-Enquirer's Andy Bitter reports. Randle's finalists are presumed to be LSU, Oklahoma and Alabama. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops made an in-home visit to Randle on Thursday night.
- There's a reason why Colorado coach Dan Hawkins doesn't like to publicize his recruiting lists until after signing day, according to the Rocky Mountain News' B.G. Brooks.
- Keller (Texas) linebacker Brandon Mahoney, an early commitment to Oklahoma who is still weighing other options, will be among a group of players visiting Texas Tech this weekend. Others include Carrollton Newman Smith defensive end Aundrey Barr, Longview defensive end Chris Knighton and Blinn College kicker Brad Hicks, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reporter Don Williams writes.
- Baylor picked up a verbal commitment from Houston Stratford defensive end Terrance Lloyd, who reneged on an earlier commitment from Missouri, Waco Tribune-Herald reporter John Werner writes.
- Nebraska has pulled its scholarship offer to linebacker Shawn Bodtmann of West Scranton (Pa.) High School after he struggled with injuries during his senior season, Mitch Sherman of the Omaha World-Herald writes. Mike DeAntona, Bodtmann's high school coach, said the Cornhuskers' practice was unethical.
- Terry Hawthorne of East St. Louis, Ill., named by Parade Magazine as the nation's top high school receiver, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Stu Durando that he's now considering Oklahoma along with Illinois.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bryan Burwell defends Missouri commitment St. Louis Gateway Tech defensive lineman/tight end Sheldon Richardson's opportunity to make a late recruiting visit to Miami on the weekend before National Signing Day.