Big 12: Cornell Tarrant
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
TEMPLE, Texas -- I'm venturing back to my journalistic roots this morning, so to speak.
I started my career here a long time ago. It was so long ago, in fact, that SMU was a still a dominant football program back then. Jerry Moore was just starting his program at Texas Tech. Big 12 director of football championships Donnie Duncan was roaming the sidelines at Iowa State, with a young assistant named Mack Brown at his side.
But it's always fun to return to my simpler days when I lived off of Rahmen noodles and four or five television games during the course of a Saturday.
Which made those Sunday night highlight shows for Texas and Oklahoma on the Dallas independent station must-see television every week. Not only because there weren't there wasn't a regular schedule of NFL games played, but because the dichotomy between Fred Akers and Barry Switzer always was so pronounced.
Watching football sure is a lot better these days.
Here's a stack of steaming links to get you ready for Saturday's games.
- The Baylor era under Art Briles starts with a thud.
- Iowa State set a school record with 202 interception return yards en route to a 44-17 victory over Division I-AA South Dakota State. It was the largest victory in Gene Chizik's coaching tenure.
- Redshirt sophomore Brian Lockridge, hampered since the spring recovering from hernia surgery, will redshirt because of Colorado's depth in the backfield.
- Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star has Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe's take on the SEC's new television deal along with is weekly ranking of Saturday's games.
- Kansas LB Mike Rivera has been picking up nicknames since he's played with the Jayhawks. But instead of calling him "Mr. Kansas" or "The Caveman," teammates are now calling him "Big Time Mike."
- Missouri QB Chase Daniel's mushrooming fame has resulted in his mother and girlfriend sometimes being besieged by autograph seekers.
- Kansas State WR Ernie Pierce is hoping to emerge as Kansas State's big-play receiving threat.
- New Nebraska coach Bo Pelini finally tackles the challenge of coaching in a football game.
- The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel goes interactive as he calls Oklahoma's game against Chattanooga the biggest mismatch in school history.
- Bill Haisten of the Tulsa World provides the definitive scoop on Oklahoma State WR Artrell Woods' amazing comeback.
- Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman predicts another 10-win season for Texas this year. Among other items he foretells that the Longhorns will beat Oklahoma, lose to Missouri and Texas Tech and meet LSU in the Cotton Bowl.
- Texas Tech has cleared an unspecified player on the possibility of an NCAA rules violation in a "possible compliance problem." The school didn't release the player's name, but the Lubbock Avalance Journal said that speculation has centered on All-American WR Michael Crabtree.
- Texas A&M FB Jorvorskie Lane has returned to practice this week, although RB Cornell Tarrant has transferred to Stephen F. Austin University.
- Kevin Haskin of the Topeka Capital Journal goes out on the limb and picks Missouri and Texas Tech to win division titles this season.