Big 12: Jawjacking 0813
November, 21, 2008
By Tim Griffin | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
Here are a few of the more notable quotes from around the Big 12 this week.
- "I love it. It reminds me of the old Thirsty Thursdays' in minor-league baseball where you get beer thrown at you." - Texas Tech tackle Rylan Reed talking to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal about the raucous crowd he expects Saturday at Owen Field.
- "It's been a one-game season for us for a long time," Colorado defensive tackle George Hypolite to the Boulder Camera about the Buffaloes' bowl game-or-bust game next week against Nebraska.
- "I liken myself to John McCain at an (Barack) Obama pep rally." Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman, after appearing at a A&M-Texas luncheon in Houston heavily packed with Longhorn partisans.
- "I don't worry about Oklahoma's record. Their record on the road is pretty good, too," Texas Tech coach Mike Leach on Oklahoma's nation-best 23-game winning streak and its 58-2 home record under Bob Stoops.
- "He gets it. That's the most important thing - he gets it." Oklahoma coach Brent Venables, to the Dallas Morning News about the offensive philosophy and the philosophy of Mike Leach.
- "We didn't reach our goal, but we can see the promised land and can be proud of that," Baylor senior wide receiver Thomas White said to the Waco Tribune-Herald after Saturday's 41-21 rout of Texas A&M.
- "What can you say? The guy is uncanny. I've been around a bunch of them, and I don't know how you can describe him. He's a guy I'm glad wears green and gold because he's a stud," Baylor coach Art Briles, describing the contributions of Baylor linebacker Joe Pawelek.
- "The kids deserved this. I'm real pleased with how we dominated the line of scrimmage. I'm really excited about how physical we were. There were some great licks out there," Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp on the play of his defense last week in a 35-7 victory over Kansas.
- "I've had opportunities to be a head coach and I've been waiting on the right one, and this is the best one. If I had left Austin, my wife was going to stay here. She loves Austin." - Muschamp, on being named coach-in-waiting at Texas.
- "There's so many different things that can happen over the next three weeks. I'll simply sit back and watch and be a fan of the game." Texas coach Mack Brown, on why he won't take a rooting interest in the Texas Tech-Oklahoma game.
- "I think he just gets a little spooked sometimes, I don't know," Texas A&M defensive end Michael Bennett, who told the San Antonio Express-News that Colt McCoy can be rattled with heavy pressure.