Big 12: Matt Singletary
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
It's a beautiful day in San Antonio this afternoon.
So nice, in fact, that I'm taking care of these links on my back porch thanks to the marvels of a strong wireless signal.
I can't send the sunshine, so how about some news to wrap up this week?
- Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads picked up his biggest recruit yet as College of San Mateo (Calif.) junior college All-American linebacker Matt Taufoou announced he will join the Cyclones. Ames Tribune beat writer Bobby La Gesse reports that Taufoou canceled a trip to Tennessee to sign with the Cyclones.
- College Football News reporter Pete Fiutak wonders if the Big 12 really was overrated last season.
- De'Vion Moore's groin injury left Missouri shuffling walk-on running backs in the 11-on-11 part of the Tigers' workouts Thursday afternoon, Dave Matter of the Columbia Daily Tribune reports.
- Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle/San Antonio Express-News opines about the departures of defensive lineman Kellen Heard, receiver E.J. Shankle and running back Keondra Smith from the Texas A&M program over the past two months.
- Among the interested spectators at Baylor's scrimmage Thursday afternoon was San Francisco 49ers coach and former Baylor All-American linebacker Mike Singletary, the Waco Tribune-Herald's Brice Cherry reports. Singletary's son, Matt, is a sophomore receiver for the Bears.
- Richetti Jones is one of the emerging defensive linemen at Oklahoma State as new coordinator Bill Young attempts to retool his defense, the Oklahoman's Scott Wright reports.
- Austin American-Statesman columnist Kirk Bohls writes about Texas punter Justin Tucker, who is attempting to become game-proficient at kicking both left-footed and right-footed.
- Colorado linebacker Michael Sipili has got his academics in order and dropped weight in his bid to claim a starting position with the Buffaloes, Boulder Daily Camera beat writer Kyle Ringo reports.