Big 12: Mike Jinks
Editor's note: For a look at the national recruiter power rankings based only on Class of 2014 success, click here.
The best college football coaches will tell you that when it comes to recruiting, their business is an art. It’s a craft you must perfect if you want to have the best players commit and ultimately sign. Recruiting isn’t for everybody, but those who are good at it -- particularly for building the 2014 class -- should be recognized, as the business is extremely competitive.
Here are 10 of the top recruiters from the Big 12.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
May, 7, 2013
We should all get together and eat ribs and listen to some salsa music sometime.
- Mike Tanier of Sports on Earth writes about "Geno Smith and the Scourge of Generalities."
- Is Baylor about to have a helicopter for Art Briles' use?
- Lane Johnson's old junior college coach talked about his time in Kilgore with Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman. He also talked with Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, who talked about Tony Jefferson going undrafted and says he definitely doesn't want media on the selection committee for the College Football Playoff.
- John Hoover of the Tulsa World talked with Stoops about the SEC, who's bottom half hasn't impressed the Sooners' coach.
- Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy would like to see a six- or eight-team playoff, and checked his old 1988 playbook for some inspiration.
- Now is the time for Texas to reclaim its status as the Big 12's kingpin, writes Brice Cherry of the Waco Tribune-Herald.
- Tommy Tuberville talked about Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech and the Big 12 championship game with Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com. Mac Engel of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram has a note on the interview, too.
- Iowa State hauled in another recruit from Texas.
- Kingsbury is expecting big things from tight end Jace Amaro, writes Tim Griffin of the San Antonio Express-News. Here's a slideshow of the road to his current job.
- Texas Tech is giving you all-access to new running backs coach Mike Jinks.
January, 17, 2013
- Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby says the Big 12 "could be proactive" in expansion soon, reports Jimmy Burch of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- The biggest reason why I don't believe it'll happen? The Big 12 is poised to cash the biggest checks per school of any conference in college football, reports Blair Kerkhoff of the Kansas City Star.
- Former Oklahoma State star Rashaun Woods is trying his hand at high school coaching now, reports Scott Wright of The Oklahoman.
- Everybody deserves a second chance, and Casey Pachall is no different, writes Randy Galloway of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Chip Kelly is gone from Oregon. Could Oklahoma and Oklahoma State benefit on the recruiting trail? Anthony Slater of The Oklahoman checks on the possibility.
- Get to know Texas Tech's new running backs coach a little better. He's making the jump from high school to college.
- Tavon Austin won yet another award for being a good return man.
- The nation's No. 1 receiver is announcing his destination today at 5 p.m. and could be headed to Oklahoma State, writes Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman.
- KU football's team GPA last fall was the highest since they started tracking it in 1986.
January, 11, 2013
I don't know if you know this, but things with fat in them taste way better than things that don't!
- Jenni Carlson of The Oklahoman weighs in with a column on the coaching staff mess in Stillwater surrounding Bill Young's departure. Why was he fired? Berry Tramel of The Oklahoman says it's simple. Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman explains what OSU is getting in its new coordinator.
- Iowa State quarterback Jared Barnett is transferring. Bad news for the depth at ISU's position next year. Steele Jantz is graduating, so it would appear it's down to Grant Rohach and Sam Richardson, who ended the year as starter.
- West Virginia quarterbacks' coach Jake Spavital is headed to College Station to lead Johnny Football and be co-OC at Texas A&M, reports Mike Casazza of the Charleston Daily Mail.
- Kansas' Dayne Crist is excited to be playing in an all-star game tonight in Arizona for NFL scouts, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World.
- Sounds like West Virginia center Joe Madsen is headed to the Senior Bowl.
- Doesn't sound like Tommy Tuberville is having a good start on the PR front at Cincinnati.
- Oklahoma State's Joseph Randle is gone, but Anthony Slater of The Oklahoman looks at the top five games of his career.
- Get to know more about Texas Tech's new running backs coach, Mike Jinks, who made a name for himself at the high school level.
- Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram looks at TCU linebacker Kenny Cain's hopes to attract attention from NFL scouts.
- A former Oklahoma State player is joining the coaching staff.
January, 10, 2013
I suffer from a disorder called Sleep Fighting.
- Texas Tech hired Mike Jinks, one of Texas' top high school coaches, to coach its running backs, reports Blake Hurtik of the San Antonio Express-News.
- Sounds like Oklahoma State's Joseph Randle is heading to the NFL a year early.
- What will Oklahoma's receiving corps look like without Kenny Stills and Justin Brown? Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman has a look.
- Lawyers for two Texas players under investigation for sexual assault say no charges will be filed and the case is closed, but San Antonio police say the case is still under review.
- He had to take a detour through junior college, but Kansas defensive back Dexter McDonald is happy to be a Jayhawk again, writes Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal-World.
- Texas Tech fans will find this interesting.
- Dana Holgorsen sounds like he's enlisting an old face to help fix West Virginia's defensive woes.
- Odd news from Oklahoma: Junior linebacker Tom Wort is declaring for the draft, though he might not be drafted. Colleague Jake Trotter explains.
- Cedric Golden of the Austin American-Statesman looks at the best and worst of the year that was across college football.
- There was a big venue and big ratings for last week's Cotton Bowl.
- From Gina Mizell of The Oklahoman: Could Oklahoma State defensive coordinator Bill Young be ready to retire after all?
- One of the nation's top receivers will announce his college decision on Jan. 17, and could be headed for the Big 12.
- Texas isn't winning at the same rate these days, but the recruiting pitch from Mack Brown hasn't changed.