Big 12: Ryan Hale
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
All three Texas Tech defensive ends who missed last week's game against Texas will be available for the Red Raiders' game at Houston Saturday night.
Starter Ra'Jon Henley and backups Ryan Haliburton and Brandon Sharpe will be back in the lineup after practicing this week. Henley's health is the biggest concern after he sustained an ankle injury on the first defensive series in the Red Raiders' second game of the season against Rice.
Henley's return would be huge for the Red Raiders, who had surprising success against Texas despite their limited numbers along the defensive front. Defensive tackle Richard Jones and linebacker Bront Bird switched to defensive end to fill the gap against the Longhorns.
"I thought they handled themselves well," Tech defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill said about his patchwork group at defensive end. "The one thing there was is that they didn't have the 'deer in the headlights look' when we out there. I think that comes from players trusting coaches and coaches trusting players."
The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal reports that starting safety Franklin Mitchem and special teams player Ryan Hale both did not make Tech's travel roster for the Houston game and will not play against the Cougars.
Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. -- Welcome to the heartland, where a blizzard is expected to blow through with 8 to 10 inches of snow Saturday morning.
Luckily, I was warned to bring a lot of warm clothes.
I'm ready, but here are some links before I brave the elements.
- Mike Finger of the Houston Chronicle/San Antonio Express-News wants to know whether anybody wants to start for Texas at running back.
- Senior wide receiver Deon Murphy and senior offensive lineman Edward Prince have left the Kansas State program, Manhattan Mercury senior writer Mark Janssen reports.
- Jake Trotter of the Oklahoman reports that top Oklahoma recruit Justin Chiasson has been arrested and charged with multiple criminal acts.
- Texas Tech running back Ryan Hale might not look much like Michael Crabtree, but he still wants to wear the Biletnikoff Award winner's old uniform number, Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal writes.
- Boulder Daily Camera columnist Neill Woelk writes that 10 teams made scheduling allowances to enable the Colorado-Toledo game on Sept. 11 to be set.
- Baby-faced Texas quarterback Colt McCoy grew a beard and gained much perspective last week during his missionary trip to the Amazon Basin, Dallas Morning News Big 12 columnist Chuck Carlton writes.
- Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman has made a conscious effort to pare down his offensive terminology to one-syllable words to make it easier for his quarterbacks, according to Brent Zwerneman of the Houston Chronicle/San Antonio Express-News.
- Oklahoma State safety Lucien Antoine told the Oklahoman's Scott Wright that the mental aspect of his rehabilitation from knee surgery was more challenging than the physical part.
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final North Dakota State 34 Iowa State 14 Final West Virginia 23 2 Alabama 33 Final Louisiana Tech 16 4 Oklahoma 48 Final Samford 14 TCU 48 Final Central Arkansas 35 Texas Tech 42 Final Stephen F. Austin 16 20 Kansas State 55 Final North Texas 7 Texas 38 Final 1 Florida State 37 Oklahoma State 31