Big East: Did you know?
September, 2, 2011
By Andrea Adelson | ESPN.com
Time for a little Friday did you know. Special thanks for the Big East and team sports information departments and ESPN Stats & Information for these nuggets.
- Cincinnati quarterback Zach Collaros needs 662 yards passing, 181 completions, and 14 touchdowns to become only the second QB in school history to pass for 50 touchdowns, complete 500 passes and throw for more than 5,000 yards.
- Fordham head coach Tom Masella was the assistant head coach on the 1998 UConn team that went to the Division I-AA playoffs. That team was coached by Skip Holtz, now at USF.
- West Virginia is starting a new tradition this season called the Mountaineer Mantrip, a team walk set to rally fans before each home game. The walk will also go past a 350-pound chunk of coal, taken from the Upper Big Branch Mine. The coal has been placed near the northeast corner of the stadium. The Mantrip is named after the shuttle that typically transports miners down into an underground mine for the start of their shift.
- Rutgers running back Savon Huggins became the first Rutgers football freshman to score two touchdowns in his first game since Terrell Willis scored two touchdowns against Colgate in 1993.
- Louisville ran for 159 yards against Murray State on Thursday night, giving the Cardinals 100 yards or more on the ground in 13 of their 14 games under Strong.
- Pitt is 27-3 all-time vs. Mid-American Conference foes. That includes a 25-1 mark in Pittsburgh and 2-2 record on the road. The Panthers' last lost to a MAC opponent in the 2008 season opener, 27-17 to Bowling Green.
- Skip Holtz is is trying to become the third Notre Dame grad to earn a coaching victory against the Irish. Gerry DiNardo beat his alma mater as head coach of LSU in the 1997 Independence Bowl, while Eddie Anderson beat the Irish as Iowa coach in 1940.
- The last time Syracuse opened with an ACC opponent was 2006 against Wake Forest, but it was a much different result. Wake won 20-10 in 2006 and went on to win the ACC title.