Not a bad week on the field for the Big East, with wins over the SEC and ACC. Where does everyone shake out this week?
1. West Virginia (3-0). The Mountaineers got the fast start coach Dana Holgorsen wanted, though they did not end so fast in a 37-31 win over Maryland. Still, getting three players over 100 yards receiving is pretty impressive, and Geno Smith continues to shine. But the biggest test is Saturday against LSU.
2. USF (3-0). The Bulls had an easy go of it with Florida A&M, winning 70-17. They should not have much trouble this Saturday with UTEP.
3. Louisville (2-1). Beating in-state rival Kentucky for the first time in five years with an impressive performance from offense and defense boosts the Cardinals out of the basement. Yes, they lost to FIU -- but the Panthers are now receiving votes in both polls. That is a solid team.
4. Syracuse (2-1). The Orange lost to a far better team in USC. Still, they do have a win over an AQ team this year, which is more than the bottom four teams can say.
5. Pitt (2-1). The Panthers blew a 24-3 lead in a loss to Iowa. No wins over AQ opponents. They get downgraded.
6. Cincinnati (2-1). The Bearcats have had no trouble with Austin Peay and Akron. But what happens against NC State on Thursday night?
7. Rutgers (1-1). Bye week leaves the Scarlet Knights here, but plenty of time to move up.
8. UConn (1-2). The Huskies are the only losing team in the Big East and have blown two fourth-quarter leads against Vanderbilt and Iowa State.