Did you know? USF-West Virginia
December, 1, 2011
By Andrea Adelson | ESPN.com
To get you into the spirit a few hours before kickoff, here is a little "Did you know?" about USF and West Virginia headed into their game tonight (8 p.m., ESPN). Thanks to ESPN Stats & Information and the school sports information directors for these great notes.
- Of the 3,865 receiving yards for West Virginia this season, 50.8 percent (1,965) have come after the catch.
- West Virginia receiver Stedman Bailey has scored eight of his team's 16 touchdowns on throws that went 15 or more yards.
- Quarterback Geno Smith is completing 62 percent of his passes against five or more pass-rushers this season (seven touchdowns, two interceptions).
- Smith needs 284 yards to break the Big East single-season passing record of 4,024 yards, set by Louisville’s Brian Brohm in 2007.
- A win would give West Virginia a 10th straight finish of second place or better in the Big East standings. The Mountaineers have been crowned league champions in five of the past eight years and finished second in 2006, 2008 and 2009.
- USF quarterback B.J. Daniels remains questionable with a sprained shoulder. The Bulls will make a game-time decision about whether he starts. If not, Bobby Eveld would get the nod for the second straight game.
- USF (5-6, 1-5) needs to win in order to avoid posting its worst record in Big East play. The Bulls went 2-5 in 2008, the only time they failed to win at least three games in the Big East.
- They also need a win to keep another streak alive: USF is one of only six schools that has made a bowl appearance in every season as a BCS league member, joining Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech. It is also the only school since 1998 to join a BCS member conference and make a bowl appearance every year (2005-10).
- As a special-teams unit, USF has allowed only eight punt returns all season for a total of 3 yards, which ranks first in the NCAA.
- USF is outscoring opponents 206-90 in the first half, but the problem is the fourth quarter. Opponents have outscored the Bulls 91-56 in the final period.