Syracuse to commemorate Ernie Davis
December, 8, 2011
By Andrea Adelson | ESPN.com
TSN/Zuma Press/Icon SMIErnie Davis led Syracuse to the national championship game in 1959.Syracuse will commemorate the 50th anniversary of Ernie Davis becoming the first African-American recipient of the Heisman Trophy on Friday in New York City.
Vice President Joe Biden will deliver some comments, and the program will also include a film tribute to Davis. Marv Albert, a classmate of Davis' at Syracuse, will serve as master of ceremonies.
A panel discussion addressing the evolution of diversity and equal rights in sports will follow the Vice President’s remarks. Among the panelists:
- Mike Garrett, the second African-American to win the Heisman Trophy
- Dave Bing, Mayor of Detroit and NBA Hall of Fame inductee
- Floyd Little, College and Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee
- Art Monk, Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee
- Billy Hunter, Executive Director of the NBA Players Association
- Frank Deford, Hall of Fame sportswriter, author and commentator