Record-setting night for West Virginia
January, 5, 2012
By Andrea Adelson | ESPN.com
So many records were set for West Virginia in its 70-33 victory over Clemson the Discover Orange Bowl, I needed an entire post to get to them. So here is a review:
- The 70 points are the most ever scored by a single team in any bowl, breaking the mark of 67 set by Baylor against Washington in the Alamo Bowl on Dec. 29.
- West Virginia and Clemson combined for a BCS-bowl-record 103 points. The previous BCS mark for points scored was 85 in the 2007 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl between Boise State (43) and Oklahoma (42).
- The two teams set an Orange Bowl record with 14 combined touchdowns (West Virginia 10, Clemson 4). The previous mark was 11, by Florida and Maryland in 2002.
- The 10 touchdowns by West Virginia sets a new Orange Bowl record, passing the mark of nine set by Alabama (against Syracuse, 1953).
- Geno Smith set a BCS and Orange Bowl record with six touchdown passes, better than the five USC's Matt Leinart threw in 2005 against Oklahoma. The six touchdown passes ties the overall bowl record, set by Iowa's Chuck Long in the 1984 Freedom Bowl against Texas. Smith's 401 yards passing is also an Orange Bowl record, better than the previous mark of 369 by Michigan's Tom Brady in 2000 against Alabama.
- Smith also set an Orange Bowl record with 427 yards of total offense. The previous mark was 382, held by Georgia's Frank Sinkwich against TCU in 1942.
- Smith also passed Brian Brohm for the Big East single-season passing record, with 4,379 yards.
- West Virginia and Clemson set Orange Bowl record with 1,032 combined total yards and 164 total plays. The previous total yards mark was 1,019 yards (Florida vs. Maryland, 2002). The previous total plays mark was 157, set by Notre Dame and Nebraska in 1973.
- West Virgina's 35-point second quarter sets a record for most points by a single team in any quarter of any bowl game. The previous mark was 31 points, held by Nebraska in the 2000 Alamo Bowl and Iowa in the 1984 Freedom Bowl.
- Tavon Austin set a BCS and Orange Bowl record with four touchdown receptions. He also set an Orange Bowl record with 11 receptions, passing the old mark of 10 by Florida's Taylor Jacobs in 2002 and Michigan's David Terrell against Alabama in 2000. He also set a new bowl record with 280 all-purpose yards, topping the old mark of 257 by Arkansas' Roland Sales against Oklahoma in 1978.
- Austin and Clemson receiver DeAndre Hopkins became the first set of opposing receivers to each get 100 yards in a game.
- Tyler Bitancurt was 10-for-10 on extra point attempts, setting a new record for extra points attempted and made in any bowl game.
- The two teams combined for 55 first downs, setting another Orange Bowl record. The previous mark was 49, set by Florida and Maryland in 2002. West Virginia's 31 first downs ties an Orange Bowl record.
- The two teams combined to throw 92 passes, also a new Orange Bowl record. The previous mark was 91 set by Florida State and Oklahoma in 2001.