- Andrea Adelson, ESPN Staff Writer
- 0 Shares
A little movement at the top of the power rankings after Week 5.
1. Rutgers (4-0): The Scarlet Knights were off last week, and remain in the top spot with what I think is the best defense in the Big East and an improving offense.
2. Cincinnati (3-0): I moved the Bearcats up for a few reasons. First, they have a win over a ranked team -- Virginia Tech was No. 25 in the coaches' poll last week. Second, they have a conference win over an improving Pitt team. Third, they have looked better than Louisville has in the past three weeks.
3. Louisville (5-0): I understand the weather conditions were terrible in Hattiesburg, and Louisville is thankful it came out with a victory. But the Cardinals trailed for a majority of the game and have shown a lack of a killer instinct in three straight games now. When I do these rankings, I factor in how each team looks week to week. Louisville still has a great team but has not played up to its potential.
4. Pitt (2-2): The Panthers were off last week and travel to Syracuse on Friday night in the final Big East meeting between the schools.
5. UConn (3-2): Somebody has to be here so it may as well be the Huskies, who at least have a winning record. But they won ugly once again this past weekend against Buffalo. At least it wasn't another loss to a MAC team.
6. USF (2-3): The Bulls have now lost three straight, though they did give Florida State all it could handle.
7. Syracuse (1-3): Coach Doug Marrone has taken responsibility for his team's lackluster start. We'll see if any changes made during the bye week help against Pitt.
8. Temple (1-2): The Owls also were off last week and play USF on Saturday in their first Big East game since 2004.