Monday, June 18, 2012
Big East rising stars
By Andrea Adelson
The Big East recently came out with its summer preview, complete with notes and a section on rising stars in the league.
Here are the players the league lists with the potential for breakout seasons:
- Teddy Bridgewater, So., QB, Louisville
- Levi Brown, Jr., DT, Temple
- Chris Coyer, Jr., QB, Temple
- Brandon Coleman, So., WR, Rutgers
- Dyshawn Davis, So., LB, Syracuse
- Aaron Donald, Jr., DE, Pitt
- Sterling Griffin, Jr., WR, USF
- DeDe Lattimore, Jr., LB, USF
- Jawan Jamison, So., RB, Rutgers
- Munchie Legaux, Jr., QB, Cincinnati
- Eli Rogers, So., WR, Louisville
- Marcus Sales, Sr., WR, Syracuse
- Yawin Smallwood, So., LB, UConn
- Chandler Whitmer, Jr., QB, UConn
It is hard to argue with most every player on the list. I think Bridgewater and Donald had their breakout seasons a year ago, so I would have had them in an entirely separate group because I think both already have arrived.
The one player I would single out from this group is Lattimore. From everything I have been told, he is poised to have a monster season and challenge Khaseem Greene as the top linebacker in the league. Remember that Chris Cosh's defensive scheme relies heavily on the linebackers. Last year, Kansas State had great defensive turnaround thanks, in part, to linebacker play. Arthur Brown made the Big 12 first team and had 101 tackles to finish ninth in the conference.
Cosh's background is in working with linebackers as well, so that bodes well for the Bulls and Lattimore.
Here are a few other players I think could have been included on the list:
For those wondering, these are my newcomers to watch and transfers to watch.
What do you guys think? Who has the potential to be a breakout star in 2012?