Wednesday, August 15, 2012
USF releases first depth chart
By Andrea Adelson
USF coach Skip Holtz has released his first depth chart of fall camp, following the first scrimmage this past weekend. Keep in mind, injured players are not featured on the chart.
Holtz said in a statement:
“We used all the information we have up to this point, including the scrimmage, to determine the first depth chart of fall camp. Obviously, it is a fluid listing with potential changes each day. We took a hard look at each position and determined how the pieces would fit and we wanted to take a look at some things that we feel might help us be a better overall football team. As I’ve said, I’m really proud of how these players are working right now and I’m looking forward to seeing how these position battles play out through the rest of fall camp.”
Among some of the notable changes:
- Darrell Williams and Mark Popek have swapped positions on the offensive line. Popek, who started every game at left tackle last year, is now at left guard. Williams is at left tackle.
- Andre Davis seems to have solidified himself as a starting receiver. Terrence Mitchell and Sterling Griffin are listed as co-starters at another receiver position.
- At running back, Marcus Shaw has moved ahead of Lindsey Lamar and is now a co-starter with Demetris Murray.
- George Baker and Kenneth Durden are listed as co-starters for the vacant cornerback job open opposite Kayvon Webster. True freshman Chris Bivins is listed right behind. Mark Joyce is also listed ahead of Jon Lejiste at free safety. Lejiste started all 12 games last year but missed the spring with an injury and Joyce as really come on strong.
- In another interesting development, Holtz has decided to shift Sam Barrington from strongside to middle linebacker. He and Mike Lanaris are in a fight for the starting job. Reshard Cliett is listed as the starter on the strong side.
- Holtz has spoken glowingly about Tevin Mims at defensive end. Mims, who started his college career at Texas, is listed as the starter opposite Ryne Giddins. JuJu Forte has missed some time with injuries.
- Bobby Eveld and Matt Floyd are still listed as co-backups behind B.J. Daniels.