Big Ten lunchtime links: Beanie could be NFL-bound
November, 19, 2008
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
Happy hump day to all. Once you finish reading these links, the weekend will be a few minutes closer.
- Chris "Beanie" Wells isn't a senior, but the Ohio State star running back could be playing his final game at Ohio Stadium on Saturday, Doug Lesmerises writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer. Wells would be a considered a top-5 pick in the NFL draft if he bolts a year early.
"He's the best player I've scouted and it looks like he's coming out," said an NFL scout who works the Midwest. "The fact that he's played through [his foot injury] is a good sign. He's a big guy, he'll carry the load, and that's part of playing in the NFL -- it's a long year and he's going to have to play banged up. I think that's going to help him."
- Joe Paterno should feel better almost immediately after hip-replacement surgery, and the 81-year-old likely will have no trouble attending Penn State's upcoming January bowl game, Jeff McLane writes in the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Northwestern running back Tyrell Sutton remains upbeat despite a wrist injury, and the senior star holds out hope to return for a bowl game, Shannon Ryan writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- Mark Dantonio isn't looking to leave Michigan State any time soon, Drew Sharp writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- It has been a mixed bag this season for Illinois quarterback Juice Williams, but he still remembers the advice he received from fellow Chicagoan and Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, Herb Gould writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- Joe Tiller's farewell tour is in full swing around West Lafayette, as the Purdue coach prepares for his final game, Tom Kubat writes in The Journal and Courier.
It all started when Tiller showed up for his weekly Monday talk at the quarterback club's luncheon and everyone held up placards that read, 'Thank you, Coach.'
"'I didn't have any idea they had anything like that planned. It was much appreciated,' Tiller said. 'I did ask the question, 'Are those left over from coach [Gene] Keady's retirement?'"
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State