Big Ten lunch links
July, 14, 2010
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Slowest sports news day of the year? Not in Big Ten country.
- Lloyd Carr's retirement from Michigan marks the end of an era, Michael Rosenberg writes in the Detroit Free Press. Carr reflects on his three decades in Ann Arbor, Mark Snyder writes in the Free Press. Michigan's director of football operations, named in the NCAA's allegations against the program, resigns to take a job outside football, Angelique Chengelis writes in The Detroit News.
- Robert Marve's healthy knee, big-game experience and academic progress made him a clear choice to be Purdue's No. 1 quarterback entering camp, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- More good stuff on the Bullough family legacy with Michigan State football from the Lansing State Journal's Joe Rexrode.
- Penn State's Evan Royster hopes his carries total increases this fall as he gets ready for the NFL, Audrey Snyder writes in The Daily Collegian. Soon-to-be Hall of Famer Curt Warner weighs in on Joe Paterno and his Penn State experience, Kyle Knust writes in the South Bend Tribune.
- A great look back at George Steinbrenner's time at Northwestern, Teddy Greenstein writes in the Chicago Tribune. Steinbrenner also left his mark at Purdue, Carmin writes.
- Minnesota picks up a 2011 commitment from quarterback Matt LaCosse, Kevin Schmit writes in the Daily Herald.
- Indiana adds yet another 2011 commit in running back D'Angelo Roberts, Hugh Kellenberger writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times.
- Iowa boasts plenty of options at wide receiver this fall, Andrew Logue writes in the Des Moines Register.
- Not surprisingly, Detroit's Ford Field would love to host a potential Big Ten championship game, Chengelis writes.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Illinois Northwestern 12:00 PM ET Purdue Indiana 12:00 PM ET Michigan 6 Ohio State 3:30 PM ET 10 Michigan State Penn State 3:30 PM ET 18 Minnesota 14 Wisconsin 3:30 PM ET Rutgers Maryland