Big Ten lunch links: McCoy calls out Penn State
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
The Big Ten is 0-2 in bowl games, but these links are all winners.
- Pat Fitzgerald might be Northwestern's version of Joe Paterno, and the university should keep the 34-year-old coach for as long as possible, Rick Morrissey writes in the Chicago Tribune.
"The school will resume talks with him on a contract extension soon. A deal is going to get done, athletic director Jim Phillips said Monday. But don't look for Northwestern to get complacent when it comes to its young head coach. If he keeps having regular seasons like 2008, when the Cats went 9-3, other schools will come calling.
'You never want to take him for granted,' Phillips said. 'Because he loves Northwestern shouldn't be a reason why he stays at Northwestern. It should be because it's the right place for him and his family, and it's where he wants to be.'"
- Ohio State's secret of potentially using two quarterbacks on the field together is out, but coach Jim Tressel doesn't seem too concerned, Tim May writes in The Columbus Dispatch.
- Penn State and Pitt will have a common opponent (Oregon State), but the Panthers are itching to resume their rivalry with the Nittany Lions (not happening any time soon), Kevin Gorman writes in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. LeSean McCoy, your thoughts?
"I know who's the better team, so you don't need to do all that," McCoy said. "I want to play them so bad, not only just for my own personal reasons but just because it's always been a rivalry. It's crazy that the biggest schools in the state don't play each other. I want to play them."
McCoy also went as far as to predict a Pitt-Penn State outcome.
"It would be a blowout."
- After communicating via phone and text message all season, Penn State quarterback Daryll Clark finally gets some face time with his mentor, Michael Robinson, Ron Musselman writes in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- I don't think there's much of a debate here, but Iowa running back Shonn Greene will weigh his options of whether or not to enter the NFL draft a year early, Andy Hamilton writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen.
- Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio hasn't forgotten about his team's poor performance in the regular-season finale at Penn State, Shannon Shelton writes in the Detroit Free Press.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Iowa Pittsburgh 12:00 PM ET Eastern Michigan 11 Michigan State 12:00 PM ET Western Illinois Northwestern 12:00 PM ET Southern Illinois Purdue 12:00 PM ET Bowling Green 19 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET Maryland Syracuse 3:30 PM ET Utah Michigan 3:30 PM ET Rutgers Navy 4:00 PM ET Massachusetts Penn State 4:00 PM ET San Jose State Minnesota 4:00 PM ET Texas State Illinois 4:00 PM ET Indiana 18 Missouri 8:00 PM ET Miami (FL) 24 Nebraska