Big Ten lunch links
September, 1, 2010
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
One day away.
- Evan Royster wants to be Penn State's featured back, but Joe Paterno says he might be a little heavy, Bob Flounders writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News. Quarterback remains a question mark for the Nittany Lions, Joe Juliano writes in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Forget the quarterback: who will be Penn State's mascot on Saturday?
- The Detroit Free Press' Shannon Shelton picks every Michigan State game and forecasts an 8-4 season. The Detroit News' Matt Charboneau sees the Spartans going 9-3. A lot of good MSU coverage in the Lansing State Journal's football season preview.
- Everyone loves to talk quarterbacks and offense, but Michigan's defense will make or break the season, Michael Rosenberg writes in the Detroit Free Press. Whether or not Denard Robinson starts at quarterback, his improvement should pay off for the Wolverines, Angelique Chengelis writes in The Detroit News.
- Minnesota needs its young players to become difference makers, especially on defense, Phil Miller writes in the Star Tribune. The Gophers' offense takes a less-is-more approach, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- Ohio State's Nike unis for the Michigan game this year will have a military theme, Doug Lesmerises writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer. Ohio State comes in at No. 2 on Chris Dufresne's preseason countdown in the Los Angeles Times. The Star-Ledger's Tom Luicci has the Buckeyes one spot higher in his preseason Top 25.
- Wisconsin bloggers weigh in on the strengths and weaknesses of the Badgers' offense.
- After watching this video, you'll agree that Iowa center Josh Koeppel is an extremely lucky man not to be hurt worse. Linebacker James Morris and at least three other true freshmen will see the field for Iowa this season, Scott Dochterman writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette. Hawkeyes cornerback Shaun Prater updates us on his leg injury.
- Purdue quarterback Robert Marve says bring on the Irish.
- Northwestern receiver Jeremy Ebert has an edge when he plays, Tina Akouris writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- Illinois AD Ron Guenther makes a rare media appearance and talks Ron Zook, his own contract situation and more, Lindsey Willhite writes in the Daily Herald. Illini linebacker Martez Wilson is thinking big this fall, Herb Gould writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- Indiana needs Darius Willis to be both healthy and effective at running back this season, LaMond Pope writes in The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
2:00 PM ET Washington State Colorado State 3:30 PM ET 20 Fresno State 25 USC 5:30 PM ET Buffalo San Diego State 9:00 PM ET Tulane Louisiana-Lafayette
6:00 PM ET Pittsburgh Bowling Green 9:30 PM ET Utah State 23 Northern Illinois
2:30 PM ET Marshall Maryland 6:00 PM ET Syracuse Minnesota 9:30 PM ET Brigham Young Washington
12:00 PM ET Rutgers Notre Dame 3:20 PM ET Cincinnati North Carolina 6:45 PM ET Miami (FL) 18 Louisville 10:15 PM ET Michigan Kansas State
11:45 AM ET Middle Tennessee Navy 3:15 PM ET Ole Miss Georgia Tech 6:45 PM ET 10 Oregon Texas 10:15 PM ET 14 Arizona State Texas Tech
12:30 PM ET Arizona Boston College 2:00 PM ET Virginia Tech 17 UCLA 4:00 PM ET Rice Mississippi State 8:00 PM ET 24 Duke 21 Texas A&M
12:00 PM ET Nebraska 22 Georgia 12:00 PM ET UNLV North Texas 1:00 PM ET Iowa 16 LSU 1:00 PM ET 19 Wisconsin 9 South Carolina 5:00 PM ET 5 Stanford 4 Michigan State 8:30 PM ET 15 UCF 6 Baylor
7:30 PM ET 13 Oklahoma State 8 Missouri 8:30 PM ET 12 Clemson 7 Ohio State