Big Ten lunch links
September, 7, 2010
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Follow me on Twitter during the Big Ten coaches' teleconference (Michigan QB Denard Robinson also makes an appearance), which begins right now.
- Very sad news, as Terry Hoese, the father of Minnesota fullback Jon Hoese, passed away Monday night following a stroke.
- Forget Texas-SC. The Ohio State-Miami Fiesta Bowl remains the greatest game ever, Bill Livingston writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- Penn State freshman quarterback Rob Bolden already has a fan in Alabama coach Nick Saban, Joe Juliano writes in the Philadelphia Inquirer. Alabama likely will be missing two star players Saturday against Penn State, Don Kausler Jr. writes in the Birmingham News.
- Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez has bigger concerns than Tate Forcier's sideline demeanor, annarbor.com's Michael Rothstein writes. The Detroit News' Bob Wojnowski writes that Michigan must stay on the right path, while the Detroit Free Press' Drew Sharp writes that after last year, we shouldn't praise the Wolverines too soon.
- Get to know Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt in this Mike Lucas story from The Capital Times.
- The Lansing State Journal's Joe Rexrode answers three big questions for Michigan State. The Spartans defensive line picked up the slack without Blake Treadwell in the opener, Denny Schwarze writes in the Lansing State Journal.
- Jewel Hampton's return to the field adds intrigue to Iowa's running back spot, Pat Harty writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen. The Iowa-Iowa State series faces some roadblocks in the future, Scott Dochterman writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette.
- Northwestern's veteran offensive line needs to pick up its play, Lindsey Willhite writes in the Daily Herald. Quarterback Dan Persa wants to see more passion from his teammates in Week 2, Teddy Greenstein writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- Purdue's new-look secondary held its own against a tough Notre Dame receiving corps Saturday, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- Indiana's run defense needs to be strong after the bye week, Pete DiPrimio explains in The Fort Wayne News-Sentinel.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State