Big Ten players help Nation squad to victory
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
You might have missed it amid the Super Bowl hoopla, but there was a college football all-star game during the weekend, and several Big Ten players participated.
Former Purdue quarterback Curtis Painter started for the victorious Nation team in the Texas vs. The Nation Game in El Paso, Texas. Painter completed just 6 of 15 passes for 55 yards but threw a 9-yard touchdown to San Jose State running back Yonus Davis in the fourth quarter that proved to be the winning margin.
Other Big Ten notables in the Nation's 27-24 win included:
- Michigan defensive tackle Will Johnson started and had a sack and three solo tackles for the Nation team.
- Illinois linebacker Brit Miller started and had four assisted tackles for the Nation team.
- Illinois defensive end Derek Walker started and had a quarterback hurry for the Nation team.
- Penn State wide receiver Jordan Norwood started and had one reception for 18 yards for the Texas team.
- Penn State cornerback Lydell Sargeant came off the bench and was credited with half a sack for the Texas team.
- Ohio State defensive tackle Nader Abdallah started had two tackles for the Texas team.
- Penn State offensive linemen Gerald Cadogan and Rich Ohrnberger started at left tackle and left guard for the Nation team and allowed only one sack in the victory.
- Michigan long snapper Sean Griffin started for the Nation team and had an assisted tackle.