Big Ten lunch links
September, 14, 2010
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Follow me on Twitter throughout the Big Ten coaches' teleconference, which begins right now.
- No official word from Purdue on star receiver Keith Smith, but Smith's high school coach says the senior tore his ACL and MCL, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- Former Minnesota All-American Bob Stein says the program's current condition is "shameful," Charley Walters writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- Promising Penn State linebacker Gerald Hodges is out indefinitely with a leg injury, Bob Flounders writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News.
- Denard Robinson is all over ESPN these days, but the Michigan quarterback doesn't even have cable, Angelique Chengelis writes in The Detroit News. In case you missed it, ESPN Stats & Information examines Robinson's historically hot start, and colleague Andrea Adelson compares Robinson's start with Tim Tebow's in 2007. Some good Wolverines notes from annarbor.com's Pete Bigelow.
- Mark Dantonio knows Michigan State's best football is ahead of it, Shannon Shelton writes in the Detroit Free Press. A look back at the late Brad Van Pelt, whose number will be retired Saturday at Spartan Stadium, Joe Rexrode writes in the Lansing State Journal.
- Tim May and Ken Gordon discuss Ohio State's win against Miami and the soft slate ahead in The Columbus Dispatch.
- Coaches keep talking (joking, mostly) about Kirk Ferentz's salary at Iowa, Ryan Suchomel writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen.
- Coach Bret Bielema isn't ruling out Kraig Appleton's return to Wisconsin, though don't hold your breath, Tom Mulhern writes in the Wisconsin State Journal. Wisconsin players haven't forgotten what Steven Threet did to them in 2008 at the Big House, Jeff Potrykus writes in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- Northwestern's trip to Rice will be a homecoming for several Houston natives on the team, Lindsey Willhite writes in the Daily Herald.
- Illinois' Jack Ramsey is back at receiver after a recent switch to defensive back, Bob Asmussen writes in The (Champaign) News-Gazette.
- It has been pretty much status quo at Indiana during an unusually long early season hiatus, Dustin Dopirak writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times (subscription required).