Big Ten lunch links
September, 17, 2010
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
If someone hands you a Bentley, you're just gonna keep driving.
- Several Big Ten nuggets appear in this week's College Gameday Kickoff. The Big Ten Network's Dave Revsine goes inside the numbers for Week 3.
- A sports psychologist at Iowa State weighs in on Iowa's struggles west of the Rockies with the Des Moines Register's Sean Keeler. The Iowa-Arizona game is huge, but it won't define the Hawkeyes' season, Pat Harty writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen. Most forecasts see the Hawkeyes prevailing in the desert.
- A must-read on former Minnesota defender Willie VanDeSteeg, who put the NFL on hold to help the family of Gophers fullback Jon Hoese following the death of Hoese's father, Kent Youngblood writes in the Star Tribune. Minnesota receiver Connor Cosgrove isn't alone as he fights leukemia, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- Wisconsin will dominate possession time Saturday, but the Badgers' defense needs to be aware of a quick-strike Arizona State offense, Tom Mulhern writes in the Wisconsin State Journal. At least Wisconsin finally will have its starting linebacker corps together, Jeff Potrykus writes in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- Sad news for UMass, as its band director died Thursday night following a performance in Ohio en route to Michigan for Saturday's game.
- Quarterback Dan Persa's hot start at Northwestern is linked to two acronyms, Teddy Greenstein writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- A great look at the Posey Bowl (DeVier vs. Julian) on Saturday at Ohio Stadium from The Columbus Dispatch's Tim May. Affable Buckeyes offensive lineman Bryant Browning has overcome personal tragedies, Doug Lesmerises writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- Denard Robinson's unlaced cleats have provided great exposure for Adidas, Mark Snyder writes in the Detroit Free Press. Check out Denard: The Happening (pretty good stuff from Mgoblog).
- Michigan State's record at night isn't great, but the Spartans always provide plenty of excitement, Matt Charboneau writes in The Detroit News. Spartans defensive tackle Blake Treadwell makes his season debut Saturday against Notre Dame, Joe Rexrode writes in the Lansing State Journal.
- Rob Bolden's dad says the Penn State quarterback keeps his emotions in check, Jeff Rice writes in the Centre Daily Times. Lions running back Evan Royster needs to silence his critics this week, Cory Giger writes in The Altoona Mirror.
- Indiana will be without two starters at Western Kentucky, Dustin Dopirak writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times (subscription required).
- ESPNChicago.com's Scott Powers predicts easy wins for both Illinois and Northwestern on Saturday.