Big Ten lunch links
October, 22, 2010
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
I just can't turn down community service. 'Cause if I do, that judge will make me join the Coast Guard.
- The quarterback position is back in the spotlight around the Big Ten, Andrew Logue writes in the Des Moines Register.
- Dream a little, Michigan State fans, and put the Spartans and "undefeated" in the same sentence, Bob Wojnowski writes in The Detroit News. Life is good in East Lansing right now, Phil Miller writes in the Star Tribune.
- Ohio State's Brandon Saine has accepted his new role in stride, Ken Gordon writes in The Columbus Dispatch. The Buckeyes need a little craziness on special teams, Rob Oller writes in The Dispatch.
- Wisconsin safety Jay Valai is excited for a hostile environment Saturday, Tom Mulhern writes in the Wisconsin State Journal. Badgers defensive tackle Jordan Kohout is likely out for the Iowa game, Jeff Potrykus writes in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- Iowa's Adrian Clayborn and Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi have mutual respect heading into Saturday's matchup, Marc Morehouse writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette. Forget the Heartland Trophy; it's all about the Rusty Toolbox this weekend in Iowa City.
- Illinois defensive tackle Corey Liuget once wrestled an alligator, Bob Asmussen writes in The (Champaign) News-Gazette. Loren Tate takes a look at the Illinois-Indiana series.
- Despite a strong pass game and a weak run attack, Northwestern seeks offensive balance against Michigan State, Teddy Greenstein writes in the Chicago Tribune. The Daily Herald's Lindsey Willhite talks about the Wildcats heading into the MSU showdown.
- Joe Paterno needs to turn things around quickly for Penn State, Bernard Fernandez writes in the Philadelphia Daily News.
- Is Indiana any good? Andy Graham answers in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times (subscription required). Former Indiana player Ray Fisher often was offered money by agents, but never accepted, Justin Albers writes in the Indiana Daily Student.
- After Tim Brewster's dismissal, Minnesota will take a carefree approach to Saturday's game, David Jones writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News. Minnesota president Robert Bruininks is talking again, this time to the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press' Marcus Fuller. Expect some gridlock around TCF Bank Stadium, as President Obama is in town.
- Purdue defenders once again lock in on Terrelle Pryor, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- Michigan linebacker Kenny Demens faces a lawsuit for allegedly not paying his rent, annarbor.com's Lee Higgins writes.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Penn State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana 6 Ohio State 12:00 PM ET 25 Minnesota 23 Nebraska 12:00 PM ET Northwestern Purdue 12:00 PM ET Rutgers 11 Michigan State 3:30 PM ET 16 Wisconsin Iowa 3:30 PM ET Maryland Michigan