Big Ten lunch links: Threet discusses transfer
April, 28, 2009
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
A heaping helping of headlines for you.
- Former Michigan quarterback Steven Threet discusses his decision to transfer to Arizona State, Angelique Chengelis writes in The Detroit News. Michigan already has a commitment from quarterback Devin Gardner, but the Wolverines aren't stopping there, Josh Helmholdt writes in the Detroit Free Press.
"A lot of people said I left because I was scared of competition, but you're going to have competition in Division I football," Threet said. "If you look at when I transferred to Michigan, Ryan Mallett was here, and it's not like the cupboard is bare at Arizona State. It's Division I college football, and you're going to compete. If you're guaranteed a spot, then you're probably not at a good team. I just wanted a place where I fit the offense and the coaches could develop me."
- The Columbus Dispatch's Tim May and Ken Gordon recap Ohio State's spring ball, and predict another BCS bowl run for the Buckeyes. Quarterback Terrelle Pryor will miss wideouts Brian Robiskie and Brian Hartline this fall, Doug Lesmerises writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- Former Big Ten coaches Lloyd Carr and Gerry DiNardo are working as headhunters for an executive search firm that hires college coaches and fills other leadership positions, Doug Wilson writes in The Herald-Times (subscription required).
- Michigan State athletic director Mark Hollis expects Nick Saban to still be Alabama's coach when the Spartans and Crimson Tide meet in 2016, Joe Rexrode writes in the Lansing State Journal.
- Iowa's newest recruit has close ties to head coach Kirk Ferentz and plays lead guitar in a band, The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette's Marc Morehouse writes in his blog.
- Penn State needs tight end Andrew Quarless and cornerback A.J. Wallace to reach their potential this fall, Cory Giger writes in The Altoona Mirror.
- Several factors are helping Purdue in the Robert Marve sweepstakes, Mike Carmin writes in The Journal and Courier.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Penn State 14 Illinois 16 Final Indiana 27 6 Ohio State 42 Final 25 Minnesota 28 23 Nebraska 24 Final Northwestern 38 Purdue 14 Final Rutgers 3 11 Michigan State 45 Final 16 Wisconsin 26 Iowa 24 Final Maryland 23 Michigan 16