Big Ten lunch links
December, 6, 2010
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Ready to go bowling?
- In case you missed by far the best bowl coverage on the Web, check it out here. Colleague Mark Schlabach's BCS dream matchups include three Big Ten teams, not just two.
- A BCS bid would have been great for Michigan State, but a Capital One Bowl matchup against Alabama isn't bad, either, Michael Rosenberg writes in the Detroit Free Press. Alabama's Heisman Trophy winner grew up rooting for the Green and White, Don Kausler Jr. writes in The Birmingham News.
- Stanford is trying to lock up potential Michigan coaching target Jim Harbaugh.
- It looks like Indiana has its next coach.
- Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema has been dreaming about the Rose Bowl since visiting Pasadena nearly a year ago, Tom Mulhern writes in the Wisconsin State Journal.
- Ohio State's history got the Buckeyes to New Orleans, where they hope to change their bowl history against the SEC, Ken Gordon writes in The Columbus Dispatch.
- Minnesota swung for the fences and missed with its coaching hire, Patrick Reusse writes in the Star Tribune. Minnesota's president says Jerry Kill was always high on the school's list, Charley Walters writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press. Kill isn't the guy Joel Maturi promised he'd get for the U., Tom Powers writes in the Pioneer Press. Kill isn't flashy but he wins games, Phil Miller writes in the Star Tribune.
- I like Mike Poorman's new name for the Outback Bowl -- the Urban Legend Bowl. Penn State's recruiting has become a major concern, Frank Bodani writes in the York Daily Record.
- An early look at Michigan's bowl matchup from The Detroit News' Angelique Chengelis. AD Dave Brandon weighs in on Rich Rodriguez's emotion-charged banquet speech, Rod Beard writes in The Detroit News.
- The Insight Bowl missed on a great opportunity for Iowa-Nebraska, Sean Keeler writes in the Des Moines Register. At least the Hawkeyes finally get to play Missouri, Pat Harty writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen.
- A good overview of Illinois upcoming Texas Bowl matchup against Baylor from The (Champaign) News-Gazette's Bob Asmussen.
- In case you missed it, my take on why the Big Ten made the right call to end its expansion push now.
- Northwestern takes another stab at ending its bowl wins drought, Tina Akouris writes in the Chicago Sun-Times.