Big Ten lunch links
December, 20, 2010
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
"Monday Night Football" at a Big Ten stadium tonight. Who's excited?
- Of all the Ohio State assistants, Darrell Hazell carries himself most like Jim Tressel and will take those qualities to Kent State, Doug Lesmerises writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- Georgia is looking to add a marquee Midwest opponent to its future schedule, and Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan all are in the mix, Audrey Snyder writes in The Daily Collegian.
- A great piece on former Michigan State player Joe Tate, who keeps tabs on his Spartans while serving in Afghanistan, Joe Rexrode writes in the Lansing State Journal. Spartans senior center John Stipek paid tribute to former coach John L. Smith at the team banquet, George Sipple writes in the Detroit Free Press. Greg Jones' decision to return to Michigan State paid off in a big way, John Niyo writes in The Detroit News.
- The Big Ten division names debate continues here and here and here.
- Wisconsin followed Barry Alvarez's model and got elite performances from these five players, Jeff Potrykus writes in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- An update on Michigan running back recruit Dee Hart from the Orlando Sentinel's Chris Hays. Some Wolverines pre-bowl notes, including quarterback Devin Gardner's push for a medical redshirt, from annarbor.com's Pete Bigelow. Recruiting analysts say Michigan's unstable coaching situation could hurt the 2011 class, Angelique Chengelis writes in The Detroit News.
- The journey from walk-on to Penn State starting quarterback has been humbling for Matt McGloin, Paul Sokoloski writes in the Times Leader. Penn State is back on the practice field in the Sunshine State.
- Iowa had a big weekend on the recruiting trail, Marc Morehouse writes in The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette. The Des Moines Register's Sean Keeler writes that Iowa football has become "Consistently good, widely respected, fundamentally sound. Also, completely predictable. Take it or leave it."
- Jerry Kill's coaching staff at Minnesota should be complete soon, Phil Miller writes in the Star Tribune. Gophers receiver Bryant Allen is transferring to be closer to home, Marcus Fuller writes in the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press.
- The Texas Bowl will go a long way toward shaping Illinois' season, Mark Tupper writes in the (Decatur) Herald & Review.
- Northwestern defensive end Vince Browne has blossomed both on and off the field, Joe Scalzo writes in the Youngstown Vindicator.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET South Florida 19 Wisconsin 12:00 PM ET Tulane Rutgers 12:00 PM ET Iowa Purdue 12:00 PM ET Wyoming 9 Michigan State 12:00 PM ET Northwestern Penn State 1:30 PM ET Maryland Indiana 3:30 PM ET Minnesota Michigan 6:00 PM ET Cincinnati 22 Ohio State 9:00 PM ET Illinois 21 Nebraska