Big Ten lunch links
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
I hired a 90-pound girl to work in the stock room at Smart Tech for you, OK? I should've hired a 300-pound guy to lift the 60-inch flat screen, but instead I hired a hot girl who can't lift an iPod to bring you out of your funk.
- Former Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett is seeking an early release from prison, while an Ohio prosecutor wants to keep Clarett behind bars.
- What economic problems? Michigan's athletic department still rakes in the dough, Mark Snyder writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- By now, Kirk Ferentz should know how media coverage works in Iowa, Pat Harty writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen. I totally agree. You can't liken the importance of Iowa football to the Pittsburgh Steelers and then wonder why anything remotely newsworthy appears on the front page.
- The Illinois recruiting machine is cranking up again. First, Daniel Easterly committed, and Mark Wilson soon followed, Bob Asmussen writes in The (Champaign) News-Gazette.
- The College Football News guys debate whether Penn State will be a sleeper team for the national title race this fall. Also, Penn State will open the 2011 season against Indiana State, Todd Golden writes in The Tribune-Star.
- If Michigan doesn't bring in Boise State for the 2010 opener, Wisconsin should consider the Broncos, Mike Lucas writes in The Capital Times.
- Mark Arcidiacono is one of four Penn State incoming recruits to play in Saturday's Big 33 Football Class, Jeff Rice writes in the Centre Daily Times.
- Minnesota coach Tim Brewster loves him some Twitter, Michael Rand writes in the Star Tribune.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET South Florida 19 Wisconsin 12:00 PM ET Tulane Rutgers 12:00 PM ET Iowa Purdue 12:00 PM ET Wyoming 9 Michigan State 12:00 PM ET Northwestern Penn State 1:30 PM ET Maryland Indiana 3:30 PM ET Minnesota Michigan 6:00 PM ET Cincinnati 22 Ohio State 9:00 PM ET Illinois 21 Nebraska