Big Ten lunch links
February, 25, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
When I first started working here, an 8-year-old Shirley Temple taught me how to roll a cigarette.
- Things were a little awkward at first when former Michigan teammates Stephen Schilling and Justin Boren reunited at the NFL combine, Ken Gordon writes in The Columbus Dispatch.
- Penn State's uniforms likely will become even more basic in 2011. Lions running back Evan Royster recognizes the need for speed at the combine, Jeff Rice writes in the Centre Daily Times.
- Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi isn't lacking confidence at the combine, saying he's the best tackle in the draft, Aaron Wilson writes in the National Football Post.
- Michigan AD Dave Brandon says the school "isn't messing around" with Greg Mattison's lucrative contract, Angelique Chengelis writes in The Detroit News. Jim Harbaugh was "very interested" in the Michigan job but couldn't pass up the NFL, Dave Birkett writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- Iowa receiver Marvin McNutt reportedly underwent hand and shoulder surgery. Allen Reisner hopes to continue Iowa's tradition of producing NFL tight ends, Chris Nielsen writes in the Des Moines Register. Some interesting quotes from Iowa offensive lineman Julian Vandervelde.
- Big Ten associate commissioner Mark Rudner talks with Off Tackle Empire about expansion, division alignment, scheduling and other topics.
- Six Big Ten venues appear in Dennis Dodd's list of top 25 college football stadiums.
- After my Michigan State sport ID debate, The Daily Gopher wonders what sport best defines Minnesota's program.
- Damarlo Belcher and his Indiana teammates are slimming down before spring ball, Pete DiPrimio writes in The (Fort Wayne) News-Sentinel. Hoosiers players are tired of losing and willing to buy in to Kevin Wilson and the new staff, Dustin Dopirak writes in The (Bloomington) Herald-Times (subscription required).
- USC's hiring of former Nebraska assistant Ted Gilmore is now official.
- Purdue coach Danny Hope discusses Al-Terek McBurse's apparent departure and the waiting game for receiver Keith Smith, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- Michigan State's Kirk Cousins will be speaking about football and faith tonight.