Big Ten lunch links
April, 4, 2011
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Visited the Indiana schools during the weekend, and three more programs are on the docket this week. Busy times for the Big Ten blog.
- Ohio State's incredible run of success could be in jeopardy, Bob Hunter writes in The Columbus Dispatch. The pros and cons for Ohio State's fill-in quarterback candidates, Tim May and Ken Gordon write in The Dispatch. Jim Tressel's reputation could help him with the NCAA, Doug Lesmerises writes in The Cleveland Plain Dealer.
- Former Ohio State receiver Duron Carter is headed to Alabama, colleague Joe Schad reports.
- Penn State's offensive line is a chief concern for JoePa, Jared Shanker writes in The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News. Lions quarterback Matt McGloin helps his hometown police department with a public service campaign, Denis O'Malley writes in The (Scranton) Times-Tribune.
- Not surprisingly, Wisconsin's run game shines during a Saturday scrimmage, Tom Mulhern writes in the Wisconsin State Journal. Congrats to Badgers coach Bret Bielema, who recently got engaged.
- Michigan defenders hope to mimic the Baltimore Ravens' D this fall, Mark Snyder writes in the Detroit Free Press. They haven't been unveiled yet, but Michigan and Notre Dame will wear throwback unis under the lights on Sept. 10, Angelique Chengelis writes in The Detroit News.
- Both of Michigan State's coordinators want talented freshman Tony Lippett on their side of the ball, George Sipple writes in the Detroit Free Press. The Spartans' safety competition heats up, Joe Rexrode writes in the Lansing State Journal.
- Some good Illinois notes from the past week, including a scary story about Jon Gruden's flight, Bob Asmussen writes in The (Champaign) News-Gazette. Illini running back Jason Ford shapes up to be the starter, GateHouse News Service's John Supinie writes.
- Check out the Big Ten's top assistant coach hires of the offseason from Rivals.com's Tom Dienhart.
- None of the candidates for Northwestern's "No. 1" quarterback (read: backup to Dan Persa) has separated himself so far, Teddy Greenstein writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- Get to know Minnesota quarterback MarQueis Gray in this Q&A from the (St. Paul) Pioneer Press' Bob Sansevere. Gray looked like a confident quarterback in Saturday's scrimmage, Marcus Fuller writes in the Pioneer Press.
- Quarterback Cody Green's patience and selflessness should benefit Nebraska, Steven M. Sipple writes in the Lincoln Journal Star. The Huskers have senior stars at all three levels of their defense, Rich Kaipust writes in the Omaha World-Herald. Some good Nebraska notes from Samuel McKewon.
- Some Big Ten Saturday scrimmage links: Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota.
- Don't call Iowa tight end Brad Herman "The Herman-ator," Ryan Suchomel writes in the Iowa City Press-Citizen. Former Hawkeyes running back Brandon Wegher has been named in a custody case, Randy Peterson writes in the Des Moines Register.
Tweets from https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/lists/b1g