Big Ten lunch links
August, 18, 2009
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Posted by ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg
- Eight players are in the mix for three linebacker spots at Ohio State, Tim May writes in The Columbus Dispatch.
- Michigan head coach Rich Rodriguez wants to see a preseason in college football, annarbor.com's Dave Birkett writes. Everyone knows about Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson, but here are eight other Michigan freshmen who could play right away this fall, Mark Snyder writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- Miami transfer Robert Marve is fitting in nicely at Purdue, Mike Carmin writes in The (Lafayette) Journal and Courier.
- Bulked-up linebacker Quentin Davie could have a big year for Northwestern this fall, Teddy Greenstein writes in the Chicago Tribune.
- As I expected, redshirt freshman Curt Phillips is looking more like the man to beat in Wisconsin's quarterback competition, Jeff Potrykus writes in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Heralded Wisconsin recruit Kraig Appleton started reconsidering football in June after one of his best friends was shot and killed, Jim Polzin writes in The Capital Times.
- Michigan State cornerback Ross Weaver is the total package, Shannon Shelton writes in the Detroit Free Press.
- Penn State's Evan Royster wants to take on a bigger role this fall, Ron Musselman writes in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Several projected starters at Indiana, including defensive end Jammie Kirlew, missed Monday's practice with injuries.
- For heralded quarterback recruit Nathan Scheelhaase, it's a family affair at Illinois, John Supinie writes.
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET South Florida 19 Wisconsin 12:00 PM ET Tulane Rutgers 12:00 PM ET Iowa Purdue 12:00 PM ET Wyoming 9 Michigan State 12:00 PM ET Northwestern Penn State 1:30 PM ET Maryland Indiana 3:30 PM ET Minnesota Michigan 6:00 PM ET Cincinnati 22 Ohio State 9:00 PM ET Illinois 21 Nebraska