<
>

Back problems end Barrent's MSU career

5/10/2011

One of Michigan State's most decorated offensive line recruits in recent memory won't be suiting up for the Spartans again.

Sophomore David Barrent has decided to forgo his final three seasons of eligibility because of chronic lower-back problems. Coach Mark Dantonio on Tuesday confirmed Barrent's decision to apply for medical disqualification status. When approved, Barrent can continue his education on scholarship without counting against the team's 85-man limit.

Barrent appeared in seven games last season as a backup offensive tackle. He redshirted in 2009 and underwent lower-back surgery in December of that year.

"I"ll miss the camaraderie," Barrent said in a prepared statement. "I've made lifelong friendships, but I'll definitely miss being on the field competing with my teammates. I'm thankful for the opportunity to remain close to the program while pursuing my bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering."

Dantonio said in a statement that the team fully supports Barrent's decision.

Barrent arrived in East Lansing as the highest-rated recruit in Michigan State's 2009 class. ESPN recruiting ranked him as the nation's No. 8 offensive tackle and No. 69 overall player.

This is tough news for the Spartans, who hoped Barrent would become a building block for their offensive line in the coming years. It's good to hear Barrent will continue his studies. He earned Academic All-Big Ten honors last year and clearly has a good head on his shoulders. Best of luck to him in the future.